vaccination lump

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2008
      I know this isn't heart related, but someone here might be able to help as
      Milli has a heart problem as you know. Milli came home from the hospital last
      night and we were petting her as she slept on the bed. We found a lump between
      her shoulder blades, about the size of a pea, moveable and attached to a
      stalk. It's right where she has the vaccinations three months ago.

      I took her to the vet this morning and they say a 50/50 chance of a
      Vaccination sarcoma. I`m obviously really worried, particularly with her heart. Has
      anyone had a heart cat which had surgery for this? Any other cat would have
      had surgery this morning, but Milli is at great risk from an anaesthetic. We are
      waiting to see if it is growing rapidly.

      Basically, I`m really upset. I feel I`m responsible as I had her vaccinated.
      She doesn't deserve this and I just want this all to go away. I know there's
      a 50% chance it's not a tumour and I can pray and hope, but what the heck do
      I do about surgery?

      There's a risk we'll lose her to surgery. Please, if anyone has had a heart
      cat with surgery, let me know and if there is anything I can do.

      Lyn

      www.furkids-uk.com

    • rainycat@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2008
        Hi lyn,

        I've never had surgery on my kitty w/hcm however, when he was vaccinated when he was under a year, he too developed a lump about the size of a quarter, was hard, it did go away in a couple of mo or more. I don't recall his having or feeling a stalk..can they aspirate it & check it first to see what it is before you would resort to surgery??

        Vets typically to my knowledge.. now aren't supposed to vaccinate in the shoulder areas, I thought they were to be adminisitered to the hind quarters (at least last time I took mine for them that's what they did) I also got the type of vac ( I can't remember what it is called) to decrease the risks of vac carcinomas. Don't feel quilty, you were doing what you think is best. I still vacc my kitties and they are indoor. Hopefully this will just dissappear. If it doesn't, maybe it is worth inquiring if aspiration would be useful, they would just stick a needle to try to draw out anything that they can biopsy, and they don't do anesthia - I did this with my dog who was prone to mass cell tumors, rather than remove the lumps we checked them ... glad we did as the onces we found after her mass cell was removed were just fatty tissues I would hate to of seen us put her thru surgery needlessly.!

        Once my cat a million years ago had a small pea sized lump on top of his head next to his ear. I freaked & took him to vet and set up surgery for the next Monday. Over theweekend my boyfriend was messing with it, ends up it was a very large hard (yes this is gross) hard pusball under his skin which he managed to pop out. I couldn't believe it!!! and to think I almost put him under the knife .. at the time surgery was est at $300.00; so I was grateful it was nothing but on the other hand had to wonder why the vet couldn't figure this out.

        I will keep my finger crossed for Milli that this is nothing.

        --
        rainy

        From: elfinmyst@...
        > I know this isn't heart related, but someone here might be able to help as
        > Milli has a heart problem as you know. Milli came home from the hospital last
        > night and we were petting her as she slept on the bed. We found a lump between
        > her shoulder blades, about the size of a pea, moveable and attached to a
        > stalk. It's right where she has the vaccinations three months ago.
        >
        > I took her to the vet this morning and they say a 50/50 chance of a
        > Vaccination sarcoma. I`m obviously really worried, particularly with her heart.
        > Has
        > anyone had a heart cat which had surgery for this? Any other cat would have
        > had surgery this morning, but Milli is at great risk from an anaesthetic. We are
        > waiting to see if it is growing rapidly.
        >
        > Basically, I`m really upset. I feel I`m responsible as I had her vaccinated.
        > She doesn't deserve this and I just want this all to go away. I know there's
        > a 50% chance it's not a tumour and I can pray and hope, but what the heck do
        > I do about surgery?
        >
        > There's a risk we'll lose her to surgery. Please, if anyone has had a heart
        > cat with surgery, let me know and if there is anything I can do.
        >
        > Lyn
        >
        > www.furkids-uk.com

      • jamander33
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2008
          Hi Lyn, I wanted to also chime in concerning surgery (anesthesia)
          for our heart kitties. I, too, was terrified about putting Griffin
          under, as he had bad gingivitis - painful mouth. I am fortunate to
          have a vet that has a specialty in vet dentistry. However, she could
          not assure me of anything anesthesia related. To our total delight,
          he came through the dental surgery perfectly - not a single concern
          while he was under. And, ironically there was another HCM kitty
          having his dental that day as well. He was 10 and he did perfect as
          well. So, our heart kitties can come through just fine. It is so
          important for your vet to follow very strict anesthesia protocols.
          There are certain drug combos that put less stress on their hearts.
          One thing that my cardiologist recommended to our vet was to give
          him a pre-anesthetic (they used buprenex) which in turn allowed them
          to use less gas (isoflurane). Please keep us posted. Amanda

          > I know this isn't heart related, but someone here might be able to
          help as
          > Milli has a heart problem as you know. Milli came home from the
          hospital last
          > night and we were petting her as she slept on the bed. We found a
          lump between
          > her shoulder blades, about the size of a pea, moveable and
          attached to a
          > stalk. It's right where she has the vaccinations three months ago.
          >
          > I took her to the vet this morning and they say a 50/50 chance of
          > Vaccination sarcoma. I`m obviously really worried, particularly
          with her heart. Has
          > anyone had a heart cat which had surgery for this? Any other cat
          would have
          > had surgery this morning, but Milli is at great risk from an
          anaesthetic. We are
          > waiting to see if it is growing rapidly.
          >
          > Basically, I`m really upset. I feel I`m responsible as I had her
          vaccinated.
          > She doesn't deserve this and I just want this all to go away. I
          know there's
          > a 50% chance it's not a tumour and I can pray and hope, but what
          the heck do
          > I do about surgery?
          >
          > There's a risk we'll lose her to surgery. Please, if anyone has
          had a heart
          > cat with surgery, let me know and if there is anything I can do.
          >
          > Lyn
          >
          > www.furkids-uk.com

        • nala nala
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2008
            Oops - I forgot to note that
            some kitties do not do
            well with diazepam/valium.
            It can have consequences on
            the liver especially if given
            over several days or
            if liver function is compromised.
            At the same time, a study
            in dogs suggested that it might
            be useful for heart patients:

            "Since diazepam augments myocardial contractility and
            produces systemic vasodilatation, it may have a
            salutary effect when employed as a sedative or
            tranquilizer drug in patients with impaired cardiac
            function"

            For what it is worth, you can also look
            here:

            http://www.vasg.org/
            http://www.vasg.org/cardiac_disease.htm

            I am hopeful that the lump will self-resolve
            with no intervention required. I have not
            dealt with vaccine associated sarcoma, but
            Vickie certainly has.

            Best,

            Nala with Camille and Cozette in spirit.

            Looking for last minute shopping deals?