Re: Chylous effusion/connective tissue buildup

  • sphynxfan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2008
      Glad to hear that Kitsu is doing better. This is something I worried
      about with Hoagie (DCM), too, since he had 100 cc of chylous effusion
      removed around Thanksgiving but so far nothing has shown up on his
      echo. However, he has developed a sore throat in the last 2 weeks,
      basically a slightly raspy throat sound, so he's just gone on Zenequin
      (antibiotic) in case it is a bacterial infection.

      On his last checkup (last week) he didn't have fluid buildup, as far
      as they can tell by auscultation. So, the pimobendan seems to be
      helping still.

      One thing I just learned recently was that the pimobendan needs to be
      given on an empty stomach, one hour before meals. This is because
      pimobendan doesn't get absorbed as well when taken with a meal.
      Searching around on dog DCM sites they say that you can give it with a
      little treat, the small amount of food will not affect the pimobendan
      from being absorbed.

      I can tell the difference between with food vs. empty stomach --
      Hoagie gets significantly more energetic. As a compromise, I give him
      the pimobendan on an empty stomach (it a little bit of a treat) in the
      morning, then give him the rest of his food about 45 minutes. In the
      evening I give him the pimo about 15 minutes before his meal, because
      he is so hungry and insistent. He's 13 lbs. and gets 1.25 mg
      pimobendan twice a day. He also gets 300 mg. rutin twice a day.

      --Stephan