Re: Boris..first blood clot

  • Kim Gregory
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2008
      >>I found this info from a Google search. Hypercard 10 is Diltiazem.
      It's evidently given to cats with HCM (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) ,
      but it says in the "precautions" to not give it to cats with
      congestive heart failure or crf, <<

      Just to say that my Missi has Hypercard - she tolerates that well but when she was given Atenolol she went into congestive heart failure as an acute reaction. If you read the info on Atenolol it also says caution etc with congestive heart failure. I think the problem is that many of these things can be contraindicated - its just that most times they dont cause a problem and that drug choices can be somewhat limited for cats with heart issues.

      I felt this was similar to the discussion on cyproheptadine - that it says caution or not to be used in CRF, which is what many use it for, but the thing to bear in mind when understanding cautions is that so do many of the other treatments and supports for CRF - like good old Pepcid AC and Zantac.

      Kim and the assorted fur-kids (UK)
      An expert opinion is just that - an opinion, trust your own instincts