Re: [FH] capsules

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 30 8:38 PM
      Hi Blue,

      In a message dated 12/27/07 2:56:23 AM, bluestar.light@... writes:

      > Do any here use empty gelatin capsules to combine pills to give their
      > cats?

      Yes, we do.

      >   At this point Gracie gets five pills a day and she's more
      > patient than I ever imagined she'd be a year ago, but it's still a bit
      > much.
      >
      > I've ordered some "size 5" capsules the smallest I can find and
      > will try this out.

      I think #5s are pretty small. We generally use #2, sometimes #3. There is a
      good chart with gelcap sizes and information about how much they will contain
      here: http://www.torpac.com/small_animal_capsule.htm and
      http://www.torpac.com/Reference/unlinked_size_chart.htm . Also general information on capsules here:
      http://members.verizon.net/~vze2r6qt/supplies/gelcaps.htm .

      > I'd be interested to hear any tips and experiences
      > people here have had with giving cats capsules.

      I think the most important thing with pilling anything is to administer it
      properly, so it goes to the back of the throat, and chasing the pill with a food
      treat or syringe of water so that the pill doesn't get stuck in the
      esophagus. This becomes even more important with multiple pillings per day. Putting a
      teeny amt of butter on the "free" end of the pill (the end you're not holding)
      can be helpful with some cats.

      There's a gentle, effective pilling technique here if you need a refresher:
      www.marvistavet.com/html/pilling_a_cat.html.

      And information about the importance of chasing a pill here (among others):
      http://www.cfa.org/articles/health/esophageal-transit.html .

      >  but will she gag on it?

      Hard to say. I think that depends in part on pilling technique. // Rosemary