Re: Missi taurine and ACE Inhibitors

  • toomany_kittys
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2007
      Hi Kim,
      I can't answer the taurine question - sorry. I do give taurine
      supplement along with other ones to Luigi, my HCM cat. Some vets give
      a combo of heart drugs and in Luigi's case, his HCM has remained
      fairly stable with these for the last 2 yrs (which is amazing). He
      takes 2.5 mg Fortekor twice daily. He also takes compounded time
      release Diltiazem once daily (evening). He also takes amlodopine
      (a.m.). The other meds he takes are lasix, compounded ASA (5 mg)
      every second day and 1/4 plavix once daily. He now has a few other
      issues but is stable (fingers crossed always).
      I'm glad Missi is doing better.
      El

      > 1) re the supplements - would anyone know if taurine is ok with
      RCM? Might it cause a problem if it makes the muscle more well
      muscular? Or doesnt it work that way and is more general in
      improving funcion or something?
      > 2) Enalapril verses benazepril? Is one considered better re the
      heart than the other? Missi is on Benazepril aka Fortekor which is
      more popular perhaps in the uk. I asked my vet (who's also a
      cardiologist) whether Missi might do better on enalapril -because she
      hadnt been doing well after the adverse reaction to Atenolol and I
      was wondering whether one might be more effective than the other - he
      said that no they were both about the same and that in trials none of
      the most commonly used three ACE Inhibitors performed better than the
      other. He felt that to get the same effect from enalapril you needed
      to give higher or more frequent doses. I havent a clue whether this
      is right or not as you might gather - so I wondered whether anyone
      else had heard anything to this effect or even anything to contradict
      this?