Re: capsules

  • Ian Hudgings
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 27, 2007
      I own a compounding pharmacy and have some experience with capsules as
      we use ~30,000 of them a month. Here are my thoughts...

      Number 3 and 4 capsules are a good choice for most cats. #5 capsules
      are hard to find, more expensive, and so small that they are not
      practical for most applications. In fact, we don't use #5 capsules at
      our compounding pharmacy (and I don't know any other compounder that
      does either). There are some folks that use #2 capsules to administer
      pills to their cats and some on the Feline-CRF lists that administer
      Azodyl capsules (for renal failure) that come in #1 capsules. In my
      opinion #1 are too big except for the largest cats and #2 are
      borderline. Another compounding convention is not to use #2 capsules,
      so like #5 capsules they can be a bit harder to find.

      Personally, I don't like the flavored capsules because the idea behind
      the capsule is that it isolates the medication from the tongue, taste
      buds, and throat. The idea is to get the capsule washed down intact
      so that the cat doesn't taste the foul medication. If the capsule
      tastes like food, the cat may be more likely to bite the capsule,
      exposing the contents and defeating the purpose of the capsule.

      -Ian
      ThrivingPets.com
      (303) 320-6034

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "bluestar.light"
      <bluestar.light@...> wrote:

      > Do any here use empty gelatin capsules to combine pills to give their
      > cats? At this point Gracie gets five pills a day and she's more
      > patient than I ever imagined she'd be a year ago, but it's still a bit
      > much. I've ordered some "size 5" capsules the smallest I can find and
      > will try this out. I'd be interested to hear any tips and experiences
      > people here have had with giving cats capsules. Even the size 5 is
      > way bigger than each individual pill she gets now...it'll be smoother
      > and tasteless but will she gag on it?
      >
      > blue & gracie

    • Pat
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 28, 2007
        Hi Blue & Gracie;

        We order from http://tubenterprises.com/. She is the cheapest source we
        have found, and responds quickly. Pepper, who is only about seven months at
        this point, is getting Lasix, Fortekor, and Pro Pectalin(ground up), in #4
        capsules, which are the smallest we have found a source for, so I would be
        interested in your #5 source. I do find that the #4 is about the smallest
        my fingers can handle without causing spillage, and one way or another we
        have been compounding these pills for years.

        What we do is shoot a bit of water across the tongue with a syringe, which
        wets the mouth down and prevents the pills from staying in the mouth as the
        water is swallowed. Usually I open the mouth from behind as I can drop the
        capsule in quite far back that way. Kittens are a bit fractious as it takes
        a while for a cat to learn that swallowing quickly is the best way to get
        through the experience, but luckily Pepper loves the cold water squirted
        across his tongue, so even though one squirt is good enough to get th pill
        down, we have to do a fair number of small squirts until all the water is
        gone out of the syringe before he will quit, which means it has become a
        game. All the cats also have a treat of a shared can of Fancy Feast, (the
        high protein varieties), after pilling, so the experience doesn't end up
        being so negative.

        It would be nice if Pepper was growing at a normal rate as it is harder with
        a smaller mouth, and I understand that #5's may be an issue as they can also
        stick to the mouth if it is dry.

        We wouldn't waste the money on flavored capsules for the reason previously
        mentioned in another post, too. We don't want them to chew and possibly
        spit out the pill if it becomes exposed.

        Pat and all the boys.
        http://pat-fearlessfosdick.blogspot.com/

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 29, 2007
          Thanks everybody! Well I'm glad to report that Gracie took her first
          capsule tonight with no problem. The #5 is tiny, the three different
          quarters of pills she gets fits exactly inside the capsule so I
          actually couldn't go any smaller. I dipped the capsule in water first
          and then used a pill popper to get it way back in her throat and she
          seemed fine with it. So I'm very happy and I think she was too to
          just get "one" pill. I got the capsules from the local compounder
          here and I'm not sure if would send out orders or not, I can ask him
          if there is interest. In the meantime I also found an internet source
          here at http://www.westernsporting.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
          Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1111&Product_Code=FE4050 .

          blue & gracie

        • savionna@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 30, 2007
            Hi Blue,

            In a message dated 12/27/07 2:56:23 AM, bluestar.light@... writes:

            > Do any here use empty gelatin capsules to combine pills to give their
            > cats?

            Yes, we do.

            >   At this point Gracie gets five pills a day and she's more
            > patient than I ever imagined she'd be a year ago, but it's still a bit
            > much.
            >
            > I've ordered some "size 5" capsules the smallest I can find and
            > will try this out.

            I think #5s are pretty small. We generally use #2, sometimes #3. There is a
            good chart with gelcap sizes and information about how much they will contain
            here: http://www.torpac.com/small_animal_capsule.htm and
            http://www.torpac.com/Reference/unlinked_size_chart.htm . Also general information on capsules here:
            http://members.verizon.net/~vze2r6qt/supplies/gelcaps.htm .

            > I'd be interested to hear any tips and experiences
            > people here have had with giving cats capsules.

            I think the most important thing with pilling anything is to administer it
            properly, so it goes to the back of the throat, and chasing the pill with a food
            treat or syringe of water so that the pill doesn't get stuck in the
            esophagus. This becomes even more important with multiple pillings per day. Putting a
            teeny amt of butter on the "free" end of the pill (the end you're not holding)
            can be helpful with some cats.

            There's a gentle, effective pilling technique here if you need a refresher:
            www.marvistavet.com/html/pilling_a_cat.html.

            And information about the importance of chasing a pill here (among others):
            http://www.cfa.org/articles/health/esophageal-transit.html .

            >  but will she gag on it?

            Hard to say. I think that depends in part on pilling technique. // Rosemary