Newbie

  • Deepgreen@bluesilverbell.freeserve.co.uk
    Message 1 of 46 , Jul 26 4:23 AM
      Thank you again to Cynthia for telling me about this group. It is
      with a heavyheart I find I need to be here!

      My 14 year old girl has just been diagnosed with Hyperthropic
      Cardiomyopathy and biventricular heart failure. She has been very ill
      since Oct 1998. She had classic symptoms of hyperthyroidiam but all
      the tests were negative. we were moving alot and when two vets in a
      row said they could feel the enlarged gland, and the second vet said
      it was unfair to keep Sam on pills, that I made the biggest mistake
      of my life and let himoperate. he was a butcher. her damaged her
      vocal cords and left her 75% paralysed, it took over a year before
      she wouuld make any sound and to this day she only purrs slightly and
      often has no mieow. She was passing pure blood on the table and was
      very ill for three days but finally came home but was never well. her
      diarrhea continued and vets just tried a few antibotics or some drug
      but never seemed to take it seriously. Two weeks before xmas last
      year she went downhill fast, she couldn't stop eating and drining but
      it was shooting through her in liquid diarrhea, she was skin and
      bones. One vet kept her in and then sent her hometelling me to give
      her yogurt!!! The next day she had cancer - before taking any tests -
      and scared the life out of me. The third vet was much better and
      after tests put Sam on steroids - i had been begging for them since
      before the Xmas. By now the bowel disease had backed up and Sam had
      very bad Pancreatitis. Digestive enzymes were heloing her a lot but
      because of the foot and mouth over her ein the UK I couldn't get them
      anymore. The only ones I could get were very strong smelling, and
      presumably tatsed terrible, and Sam wouldn't go near any food with
      even a touch of it in. In May she had a bad attack when her back legs
      gave way and was very ill. The vet came home and said ti was a
      overdose of steroids affecting her liver, and whatever injection he
      gave her really bucked her up so I cut the steroid dose down and we
      plodded on......The steroids gave us perfect stools most of the time
      but Sam was not well or happy and it broke my heart to see her sad
      little face(I am housebound and she has been with me 24 hours a day
      for her whole 14 years so we know each other inside out) Last
      Saturday she had a bad fright and went downhill fast. By Sunday I had
      to call the emergency vet. I had been concerned about her fast
      heartbeat for a while and from talking to me the vet said I should
      contact a local vet hospital, which I hadn't known about or she would
      have been there months ago!, and they came and got her and took her
      into the hospital on Sunday night. Yesterday they gave me the bad
      news. She is on four drugs including aspirin and also her steroid but
      at a lower dose. From the research I have done, I have a lot mreo to
      do, it seems that cats like Sam can be helped if the condition is a
      complication of hyperthyrodism...but i am not 100% sure she was! She
      sees the vet again in two weeks. She is skin and bones as she
      obviously never ate while in the vet but is eating well now, butwas
      very underweight before even though she ate a lot. Help! Any advice,
      words of encouragement, anything anyone can offer me would be so
      gratefully received...any supplements, anythng to help her. I have no
      family apart form My elderly Mum and the two cats are my life. Thnak
      you for rading this, sorry it is so long, Take CAre and thank you
      Carol and The Tribe.(Ps Please excuse typos but I am typing this at
      Yahoo and my eyes are poor and my monitor blurred and the type face
      is tiny at yahoo so I cannot properly)
    • Ellen
      Message 46 of 46 , Apr 15, 2011
        Hi all,

        I just found out about this group. I have a 2 year old Maine Coon diagnosed with HCM. SO far she doesn't need medication but I have to get her checked out twice a year. I lost my 14 year old Maine Coon to undiagnosed HCM so I am being extra careful now. I look forward to being a part of the group.

        Ellen