Re:Two 6 year old brother cats - HCM - supplements, food, suCcess stori

  • nala nala
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2007
      Kate,

      Welcome and I am sorry to read about your brother
      kitties.
      I wonder how your cats were diagnosed with HCM. HCM
      itself is not usually graded on a scale of 1-6,
      although
      heart murmurs are. I would guess that one has a
      IV/VI heart murmur and the other a III/VI heart
      murmur.

      Although many papers state that kitties with HCM will
      not live very long, many of those papers are several
      years old and their was no control for cats who
      received
      medical therapy and those who did not receive medical
      therapy (at least the papers I read a few years ago).
      Further,
      medical treatments are changing and, with luck,
      improving.

      To diagnose HCM, usually an ultrasound must be
      performed.
      My cat, Cozette was diagnosed when she was 5.5
      although
      she had a heart murmur for at least a year prior to
      that. The
      inexperience of my vet and the vet I consulted for a
      second
      opinion delayed my getting an ultrasound done. I had
      Cozette's
      littermate, Camille examined once Cozette was
      diagnosed and
      thankfully, her heart image was normal. However, I
      plan to
      get her rechecked in a year or two as the onset of the
      disease
      can be variable.

      Many of us here have given our cats atenolol or
      another
      beta-blocker to slow the heart and give it more time
      to fill.
      Others have used calcium channel blockers rather than
      beta blockers.

      In some cases, treatment with atenolol has actually
      reduced
      or eliminated the heart murmur. Many here also use
      supplements like fish oil (for its omega-3 fatty
      acids),
      CoEnzyme Q10, Carnintine and Taurine. Many of us
      favor
      a high protein, low grain canned diet.

      It is also important to keep an eye on your
      kitty-boys'
      respiration rate and effort. If they start panting,
      breathing
      fast or hard, it can be a sign that they are in
      congestive
      heart failure and will need to be treated with a
      diuretic
      to remove fluid from their lungs, lung cavity or
      abdoment.
      Sometimes, fluid must be removed with a needle.

      It took me some time to get used to the idea that my
      cat was ill. Eventually, I came to terms with it and
      tried to be thankful for each and every day that we
      had together.

      Best wishes,

      Nala with Camille and Cozette in spirit.

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs