Re:Josie not doing so well

  • nala nala
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
      Kendall,

      I am so sorry. It is so up and down with
      these sick kitties. I hope you have the
      energy to help Josie.

      I don't know what to think about the
      diarrhea - the only time Cozette
      had diarrhea was during the time
      that her kidney values increased.

      Be careful with the atenolol - be sure to
      taper Josie off of it without just quitting
      it. A heart rate of 128 isn't too low
      for a cat on beta-blockade according to
      Cozette's cardiologist, but it DID seem
      to be too low for Cozette. I kept her
      heart rate around 140 (this was after
      6 months of ~120-130 and massive disease
      progression despite the atenolol). The
      difference in her activity and alertness between
      120 and 140 was striking.

      Certainly the aspirin could be upsetting
      Josie's tummy. It could be food
      related - kidney related - parasite
      related, it is hard to guess. For example,
      Cozette at one point was diagnosed
      with giardia although at
      the time she was strickly indoor.
      (I still wonder if the vet lied about
      the results of the fecal float).

      I'm glad that you will be able to get
      her to a vet for an exam and some
      bloodwork.

      Hugs - you certainly need them.

      Nala with Camille and Cozette in spirit

      Be a better pen pal.
    • psychoforkaatz
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2007
        thanks Amanda, I stopped her Reglan last night. She did fine on it for a few weeks with one small dose daily and it did help her appetite, the only side effect, which might not have been reglan, was a bit of spaciness, but shes been "off" for some time.

        I seriously thought she wouldnt make it thru the night. Neither of us has slept. I realized around 4 am she was dehydrated so gave her a small bit of fluids and again around one. I have been syringe feeding her too, mixed with water.

        We did a course of flagyl for three weeks, her dose was tiny and had to be compounded and she was so upset by it and running from me and stressed out, I stopped after 3 weeks, was supposed to be four but no positive results anyway.

        She has been on b12 once a week and more recently twice a week for about 4 months now and we did see great improvement in the beginning. In fact last weekend when she had her second stroke she was having odd neuro symptoms, chasing imaginary bugs with her face glued to the floor, and I gave her a b12 shot and she was better in 20 minutes.

        I wondering if this is a kidney crash although her numbers have been almost normal. I'll take her in for bloodwork in the morning.

        She did perk up a bit after the subq fluids, she had been taking a couple steps and collapsing, then after she could walk across the room. She finally pooped, or squirted I should say this afternoon then jumped up on my bed (after putting a foot in it) She hasnt had the energy to jump for about 24 hours. I syringe fed her thruout the night and again after a couple hours sleep around 1pm. Then was getting ready to again about 3:30 and decided to offer her a bowl and she cleaned the bowl, so that is good. She is still very weak and so thin. I'm very scared for her, but she does seem slightly more there.

        Her heart rate and resp were up this afternoon, I skipped her atenolol last night. Heart 160 and resp 60, but she wasnt really resting as everything is such an effort and I had just given her fluids. She still finds the energy to play with shoelaces.

        It just seems there is something more going on here than HCM, CRF and IBD as if thats not enough.

        Kendall

      • psychoforkaatz
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 3, 2007
          Hi Nala, so sorry you arent feeling well, hope you feel better soon! Thats kindof how I feel all the time with my illness.

          I found out from yahoo why some posts arent going thru to the webpage on the heart list. If I post an original post, it goes thru, if I post a reply to a post, it only goes to people who get email, but doesnt post to the webpage. I talked to Carol and she couldnt find anything wrong but yahoo said that they have to change a setting that sends replies to group, not just email. I dont think that has happened yet and I bet alot of posts are not getting on the webpage.

          Anyway, took Josie to the vet today. She was actually doing a bit better today, after I cried all night thinking I was going to lose her. She would take a couple steps and collapse. I have been giving her fluids and syringe feeding her, and she has eaten a few bowls of food on her own. Today she felt well enough to jump on my bed, with help, and walk from end to end of my room, then later she came downstairs and jumped on the couch, with rests.

          She is now down to 5.3 lbs!!! The vet said no congestion so no fluid in the lungs so I'm Ok doing the fluids in small doses and will hold off on her lasix until she is not so dehydrated. Anyway the labwork said her kidney values were absolutely excellent, in fact since she was first dx'd in summer with mild CRF, her numbers have gotten better each test. Today they were all in mid normal range, which seems to suggest that she doesnt have CRF but had elevated numbers the first time due to other health issues (and dehydration at times of test I would think). In fact her Phos is 3.3 (down from 5.2) so I will stop the phos binders for now. So thats great. Her thyroid is normal, it was low in summer. Only issue is mildly elevated liver enzymes. Vet thinks maybe Cholanealitus or Cholangeal hepatitus (sp??) I have suspected an infection for a long time but none of the AB's have had any effect, well amox takes the edge off but doesnt finish the job. So we are starting Zenequin
          tomorrow, my other cat had a gut infection a couple months ago and it worked great for him and is very gentle on the stomach, very expensive tho, $23 for 4 pills (16 doses at 1/4 tab a day), but if it helps thats great. Also vet suggested SAMe and Marin (which is a milk thistle product) to detox and protect the liver. Ihave to check prices but the vet says the brand they sell is regulated like a pharmaceutical, whereas many arent. I'm gonna check them online in a minute.

          We got home from vet and I syringe fed Josie then she walked (wobbled) to the dry food bowl so I put down a bowl of wellness canned for her and she ate most of it. I will feed/assist feed every two hours and keep up with her fluids and of course the meds and supplements I'm already doing. No more Reglan and my vet is looking into the Pepcid. I know that people on crf and heart lists use this but I had read on the info sheet that you can download that it is to be used with caution with heart or kidney issues. So we'll see what my vet finds out and maybe we'll try that or just stick with SEB. As long as I'm syringe feeding, I dont really worry about her appetite as its going in anyway and she rarely vomits, only with IBD flareups. Her bigger problem is constant diarreah. Maybe being off the reglan will help lessen that and maybe the Zenequin will take care of it even more. So thats the story. I'm really tired so am going to cross post this to the heart list instead of having
          to write another answer.

          Take care,
          Kendall

          nala nala <nala_zq@...> wrote: Hi kendall,

          Sorry that you are tired, I am only on digest at the
          group - and I have noticed that not all posts are
          getting copied into the digest. It's kind of weird. I
          am fighting a miserable cold and have been so very
          tired these past several
          days. I swear all I am doing is napping.

          I hadn't understood that Pepcid AC was contraindicated
          for heart and kidney. Per the CRF groups that I used
          belong to, many many of those kitties took Pepcid AC
          or
          the store brand equivalent. My cat's cardiologist
          also
          okayed pepcid for Cozette. My strategy for Cozette
          was that she got Pepcid in the PM unless she threw up.
          If
          she vomited, then she got Reglan. Pepcid helps
          reduce stomach acid, but doesn't help nausea. Reglan
          helps with moving stuff through the digestive tract
          and nausea.

          I think it is encouraging that she seemed to feel
          better after the fluids. Kitties will sometimes have
          increased respiration rates when they are dehydrated.

          I wish I could tell you what is going on with her,
          but I just can't. I am sorry that she is not eating
          all of the time. I did find that for Cozette, I could
          sometimes bring her food to her and she would eat
          and then would wander off. If I fed her again in
          5 minutes or so she would usually eat again. She
          was not very amenable to syringe feeding. Her
          tube was such a lifesaver.

          Take care. I'm off to take another nap.

          Hugs,

          Nala

          Looking for last minute shopping deals?

        • Carol
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 3, 2007
            Hi all,

            I just wanted to respond to Kendall's info here about replies not
            getting to the group. The setting at the website right now, when you
            reply to a post, is set to go to the person whose post you're replying
            to and not to the group. If you want to send your reply to the group,
            you need to change the "To:" address and choose the group. If you're
            replying from your own inbox to a post, hit "reply all" otherwise
            again, it'll go to the individual whose post you're replying to. If
            you choose the "reply all" it should go to the person and the group.

            So if your replies are something you think the whole group could
            benefit from and you want your posts to go to the whole group, just
            make sure you hit to reply to the group.

            Hope this clears that up for everyone.

            hugs,
            Carol and angel Chris
            Puddy Boo Punkie MeanMama Misty Snowball and Chelsea
            (missing angels Fritzy, Sweetie, Ducky, Bouncer and Muffy)

            "I know you're there...a breath away's not far to where you are."

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, psychoforkaatz

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 3, 2007
              Hi Carol,

              I guess I was mixed up and thought that was a setting you guys needed
              to change, I didnt realize I needed to change it on my end when
              replying. Thanks for the insight. Of course I am really frazzled right
              now so not much sticks in my brain.

              Kendall

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <carolroars@...> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > I just wanted to respond to Kendall's info here about replies not
              > getting to the group. The setting at the website right now, when you
              > reply to a post, is set to go to the person whose post you're replying
              > to and not to the group.
            • Carol
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 14, 2008
                Hi everyone,

                I had a few folks write to me recently asking where their posts were
                that they replied to. I just wanted to remind everyone that when you
                reply to a post, it automatically defers to the original poster, not
                the group. You have to choose to send it to the group in order for it
                to go to everyone. If you reply from your private emails, hit "reply
                all" (or whatever that command is for your particular email service),
                and if you reply from the website, click on the drop down menu for who
                the post is going to and choose to send it to the group. There will be
                3 choices, one to the group, one to the individual and one to the list
                owner.

                Take care,
                Carol and Snowball and the gang