Snoring noise after fluids in a cat with a murmer and hypertension

  • Gillinov
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2007
      My 20 year old crf, hypertension, hyperthyroid cat had his bun and
      creatine go up. Since the cat also allegedly has pancreatitis and two
      types of crystals the vet said to go from giving 75 ccs of saline
      every other day to 75 ccs a day for two weeks. The cat has a small
      heart murmer so I was told to watch for swelling and flaring nostrils.
      I asked what the vet meant by swelling and he said I would know if I
      saw it. I guess he means that the sack of fluids that pools by an
      ankle would not go away but they always do. If anyone can describe
      swelling better than the vet I would be greatful. Anyways to get back
      to the main reason I have posted here, for the first time that I can
      remember the cat started to make a snoring noise that began around 2
      hours after the fluids started and lasted for around 5 minutes. I did
      not see the nostrils flare during this time period. Nor did I see him
      breathe out of his mouth. However, the way that he likes to lie down
      it is not always possible to see his mouth. He is perfectly fine
      today and with the exception of lying down next to the water bowel for
      a few seconds(which is what he does when he a uti), he has spent the
      morning and afternoon walking around, eating a descent amount,
      drinking, having a normal bowel movement, is not breathing through his
      mouth, his nostrils are not flaring, and he spent some time watching
      me stare at him. I am just concerned since he does have heart issues.
      Someone at the crf website mentioned the phrase pulmonary edema. I'm
      not really familiar with that term but could an edema cause him to
      make a snoring noise for five minutes but not show any other unusual
      signs afterwards.
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2007
        Hi

        I've never had one of my cats making this snoring noise. The only thing I
        can think of is a small dose of the 'snots' or possibly fluid on the lungs. Was
        this snoring coming from the nose or chest?

        Sorry I can't help further, but I have no experience of this.

        Lyn :)

        www.furkids-uk.com

      • mrniceiii
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2007
          Hi,

          I've never heard of this. Does sound like some sort of breathing
          problem though. Maybe you should only give him 50 cc's of fluid next
          time & work up to more till you are sure that it's not being caused by
          too much fluid, which if they have a heart condition can build up
          around the lungs or heart- a dangerous condition.

          Frank