Re: potassium

  • nala nala
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2007
      HI Cherie,

      I will first mention that If potassium levels
      get too high, then
      it can cause a slow heart rate and a
      fatal arrhythmia, so it is something that
      needs to be monitored. If your cat
      doesn't need potassium, I would
      stay away from it.

      Cozette had bloodwork done first that
      showed that her potassium was low (2.1
      mEq/L).
      We started at 2 mEq 2x/day. Each
      GNC potassium gluconate 99 tablet
      had 2.5 mEq. The veterinary tumil-k
      or renalkare tabs have 2 mEq per tablet.

      After about one month at 2 mEq 2x/day,
      her potassium level had come up (2.5 mEq/L)
      but was still low, so she got 3 mEq 2x/day.
      After another month her level came to around
      4 mEq/L and stayed there for the next
      several months before she died.

      Nala