Re:Two 6 year old brother cats - HCM - supplements, food, success stori

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2007
      Hello Kate

      Sadly it is all too common that if one sibling has HCM, the other has it.
      Each brother or sister has a 50% chance of inheriting it. That means there's a
      good chance your little girl will be fine, especially if she hasn't had any
      symptoms and the boys have. My tabby twins (age 10) have a mild HCM which
      currently needs no medication. It was picked up by a heart murmur at last vet
      check up and the ultrasound confirmed it.

      The average survival rate depends on so many things, such as response to
      drugs, rate of progression. I`m a little confused by the (4 out of 6).. is that
      the heart murmur?

      My HCM cats (I have 6 plus one congenital heart problem cat) take the
      supplement Cardiostrength with carnitine and Co Q. The twins take just the
      Carnitine/Co Q from the health shop as they are swines to get pills down. Salmon oil
      also seems to help, but only one will have it!

      Lyn :)
      www.furkids-uk.com