Two 6 year old brother cats - HCM - supplements, food, success stories please!

  • Kate Pawlowski
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2007
      Two of my 6 year old, male cats have just been diagnosed with HCM. One of the cats is 4 out
      of 6, and the other is 3 out of 6 according to my vet on a scale of progression of the disease.
      They are brothers from the same liter which I hand raised from 7 days old. I am of course
      very sad, mostly because it looks like all the prognosis reports are 2-4 year survival rate or
      an average of 700+ days. I would like to hear from someone with cats that have similar
      situations to my Bark and Panther. Also if anyone has a suggestion for proper food (they also
      have struvite crystals from time to time), vitamin supplements and dosage, and proven
      success in keeping your cats alive, well and happy with this heart disease - please message
      me with information. I have a girl cat from the same liter and she does not have this heart
      problem and hopefully will not develop it.
    • savionna@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2007
        Hi (sorry I don't know your name),

        In a message dated 12/1/07 1:55:43 AM, tokates@... writes:

        > Two of my 6 year old, male cats have just been diagnosed with HCM.

        Very sorry to hear that.

        > it looks like all the prognosis reports are 2-4 year survival rate or
        > an average of 700+ days.

        Predicting longevity is a very tricky thing. What's important is to do the
        best we can every day to help the cats fulfill their lives.

        > Also if anyone has a suggestion for proper food (they also
        > have struvite crystals from time to time)

        Are they eating dry food? It's the leading contributing factor to struvite,
        which form in alkaline, concentrated urine...which results from the plant
        matter and 10% moisture in dry. Cats have evolved to eat a moisture-rich (60-80%),
        meat-based diet, which keeps the urine naturally acidic (6.0-6.5 is desirable
        for cats) and in the right concentration.

        All cats, with very few exceptions, need the same food: a high-quality,
        well-balanced, low-carbohydrate (preferrably grainfree), moisture-rich, meat-based
        diet, which we can provide with higher-quality canned products, premade raw,
        whole prey, or homemade fresh food.

        Some relatively reliable articles about feline nutrition incl:

        1. http://home.earthlink.net/~jacm2/id1.html
        2. www.catinfo.org
        3. www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm
        4. http://www.damnynke.com/diabetes_&_obesity.htm
        5. www.advancepetfood.com.au/nutrition
        6. ww.drsfostersmith.com/general.cfm?siteid=0&gid=74&ref=2066&subref=AN

        Some canned brands that do a good job meeting a cat's nutritional
        requirements incl: Wellness, www.oldmotherhubbard.com; Nature's Variety,
        www.naturesvariety.com; By Nature Organics, www.bynaturepetfoods.com; PetGuard,
        www.petguard.com; Felidae, www.canidae.com; and Eagle Pack, www.eaglepack.com. The first 3
        have grainfree products...and Nature's Variety has premade balanced raw. If
        you're interested in pursuing fresh food further, I can provide links for that,
        too. // Rosemary

      • dshale1
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2007
          I'm sorry to hear that your two cats were diagnosed with HCM. I think
          the scales you are giving refer to their heart murmurs as with HCM
          itself, I've only seen it graded mild, moderate and severe.

          Most of us went through the same thing when our cats were diagnosed
          but it helped me a lot when my vet told me not to pay all that much
          attention to those prognosis studies online. He said most of what you
          read about HCM is outdated and with newer treatments, cats are
          surviving longer. Some of the newer sources I've found note that an
          asymptomatic cat with HCM can often live another five years or more.
          While it's true some cats get worse quickly, other cats never develop
          more than mild HCM with no symptoms.

          I hope this info helps--it helped me to feel a lot more positive about
          our cat's prognosis.
          -Susan