Re:Potassium supplement-what about salt substitute?

  • nala nala
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 28, 2007
      Dear Judith,

      I loved the photo of Nessi you posted the other day !
      So small, so cute! What a beautiful Russian Blue.
      Glad that she is doing well.

      I don't remember exactly where Nessi is with her
      disease. It seemed like she was already in CHF
      when she was diagnosed due to the Rx for
      lasix. From what I have been reading lately (mostly
      Clarke Aikens), the recommendation is to not restrict
      sodium in the diet of a heart kitty unless that kitty
      is in/has been in CHF.

      If I remember rightly, she is on both furosemide and
      an ACE-inhibitor. The ACE-inhibitor leads to
      potassium
      retention while the furosemide causes the body to
      excrete potassium in the urine. Often these two drugs
      balance each other's effect on potassium levels.

      If Nessi has already been in CHF, as I think I
      remember,
      than rather than using "lite salt," which at least in
      the
      form made by Morton is a mix of Sodium Chloride
      and Potassium Chloride and also contains Iodine:

      1/4 tsp (volume) = 1.4 g (mass)
      290 mg Sodium
      340 mg Potassium
      60 mcg Iodine

      I would consider potassium gluconate. You can
      purchase
      potassium gluconate 99 (tablets) from GNC very
      cheaply.
      The ingredients are potassium gluconate and dextrose.
      Nothing else is in it. It is much cheaper than the
      options
      available at the vet and Cozette's bloodwork showed
      that it was as effective as Tumik-K when used at the
      same dosage (in mili-equivalents).
      You can also buy a powdered form or tablet form from
      other companies - e.g. NOW brand. These however
      have other additives. [Not sure about brands
      in Israel]. For me, liquid potassium chloride
      required
      a prescription and all of the KCl I had access to was
      flavored with a
      fruit syrup (Cozette said "YUCKY!!). I could not
      purchase it plain.

      Cozette's potassium was low and she did require
      supplementation to bring her potassium back up.
      After taking it for about 4 months (the GNC)
      her blood sugar only increased by 5 points (the
      dextrose in the tablet is what I suspect increased
      her blood sugar level).

      If Nessi doesn't really "need" it, you might consider
      crushing up a bit of a potassium gluconate tablet
      rather than the table salt.

      Hope this helps!

      Nala with Camille and Cozette in spirit.

      PS- The Merck Pet book that Vickie has been talking
      about is written for laypeople for pet care. The
      merck
      veterinary manual, available online, is written for
      veterinary professionals (although I look at it
      frequently
      and I am no vet. professional) - so they are actually
      two different books! But thanks for the reminder
      about the Veterinary manual online!

      Make Yahoo! your homepage.
      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs