Re: Potassium supplement-what about salt substitute?

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 27, 2007
      hi Judith,

      I use the Morton's Lite Salt in my raw recipe that I feed 4 of my
      guys (Boo, Puddy, Punkie and Chelsea), and I also put potassium
      gluconate in the food. The recipe I got from a vet and she
      determined the amounts for each recipe, so I'm not sure how much
      actual potassium they're getting in each meal. I use 200mg of
      potassium gluconate and 1/2 teaspoon of the Lite Salt for each
      recipe of 2 lbs of meat.

      I would think you could use just a pinch of the Lite Salt to
      supplement the food. You can also get a liquid potassium supplement
      from a vet. I did that for my Angel Sweetie. That way the vet can
      give you the dose and you don't have to guess at it.

      hugs,
      Carol and angel Chris 9/6/07
      Puddy Boo Punkie MeanMama Misty Snowball and Chelsea
      (missing angels Muffy'06, Bouncer'06, Ducky'05, Sweetie'03 and
      Fritzy'02)

      "I know you're there...a breath away's not far to where you are."

      Has anyone ever used a little potassium chloride, that's salt
      subsitute in the food?

    • goldbe50
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 28, 2007
        Carol, I'd love to get your raw food recipe. Still no more of their
        usual prescription diet and I am searching for a homemade that I can
        do. There are so many problem with supplements and just food
        requirements with my 3 cats. This is just a terrible time to switch
        their food as my allergy girl is showing a reaction to something
        (probably insect spray, I have a problem in the kitchen).

        We don't have any veterinary potassium supplements here that's why the
        query.

        Thank you.

        Judith
      • nala nala
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 28, 2007
          Dear Judith,

          I loved the photo of Nessi you posted the other day !
          So small, so cute! What a beautiful Russian Blue.
          Glad that she is doing well.

          I don't remember exactly where Nessi is with her
          disease. It seemed like she was already in CHF
          when she was diagnosed due to the Rx for
          lasix. From what I have been reading lately (mostly
          Clarke Aikens), the recommendation is to not restrict
          sodium in the diet of a heart kitty unless that kitty
          is in/has been in CHF.

          If I remember rightly, she is on both furosemide and
          an ACE-inhibitor. The ACE-inhibitor leads to
          potassium
          retention while the furosemide causes the body to
          excrete potassium in the urine. Often these two drugs
          balance each other's effect on potassium levels.

          If Nessi has already been in CHF, as I think I
          remember,
          than rather than using "lite salt," which at least in
          the
          form made by Morton is a mix of Sodium Chloride
          and Potassium Chloride and also contains Iodine:

          1/4 tsp (volume) = 1.4 g (mass)
          290 mg Sodium
          340 mg Potassium
          60 mcg Iodine

          I would consider potassium gluconate. You can
          purchase
          potassium gluconate 99 (tablets) from GNC very
          cheaply.
          The ingredients are potassium gluconate and dextrose.
          Nothing else is in it. It is much cheaper than the
          options
          available at the vet and Cozette's bloodwork showed
          that it was as effective as Tumik-K when used at the
          same dosage (in mili-equivalents).
          You can also buy a powdered form or tablet form from
          other companies - e.g. NOW brand. These however
          have other additives. [Not sure about brands
          in Israel]. For me, liquid potassium chloride
          required
          a prescription and all of the KCl I had access to was
          flavored with a
          fruit syrup (Cozette said "YUCKY!!). I could not
          purchase it plain.

          Cozette's potassium was low and she did require
          supplementation to bring her potassium back up.
          After taking it for about 4 months (the GNC)
          her blood sugar only increased by 5 points (the
          dextrose in the tablet is what I suspect increased
          her blood sugar level).

          If Nessi doesn't really "need" it, you might consider
          crushing up a bit of a potassium gluconate tablet
          rather than the table salt.

          Hope this helps!

          Nala with Camille and Cozette in spirit.

          PS- The Merck Pet book that Vickie has been talking
          about is written for laypeople for pet care. The
          merck
          veterinary manual, available online, is written for
          veterinary professionals (although I look at it
          frequently
          and I am no vet. professional) - so they are actually
          two different books! But thanks for the reminder
          about the Veterinary manual online!

          Make Yahoo! your homepage.
          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs