Potassium supplement-what about salt substitute?

  • goldbe50
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 27, 2007
      Vet sent me Nessi's test results and it looks like the multi-
      vitamin/mineral supplement she is getting is doing horrors to her
      urine; crystals and cells. He's not worried because well, Nessi's a she
      and her urine is nice and acid, but of course I'm worried.

      He suggested cutting back on the magnesium, yup, the only kitty
      vitamins with potassium also have magnesium.

      Nessi just needs a little potassium, not enough for a real supplement.
      Has anyone ever used a little potassium chloride, that's salt subsitute
      in the food? That's what the pet food companies use.

      Thanks.

      Judith

      Her pulse rate is too high but that's for the cardiologist tomorrow and
      besides, being at the vet upsets her .
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 27, 2007
        hi Judith,

        I use the Morton's Lite Salt in my raw recipe that I feed 4 of my
        guys (Boo, Puddy, Punkie and Chelsea), and I also put potassium
        gluconate in the food. The recipe I got from a vet and she
        determined the amounts for each recipe, so I'm not sure how much
        actual potassium they're getting in each meal. I use 200mg of
        potassium gluconate and 1/2 teaspoon of the Lite Salt for each
        recipe of 2 lbs of meat.

        I would think you could use just a pinch of the Lite Salt to
        supplement the food. You can also get a liquid potassium supplement
        from a vet. I did that for my Angel Sweetie. That way the vet can
        give you the dose and you don't have to guess at it.

        hugs,
        Carol and angel Chris 9/6/07
        Puddy Boo Punkie MeanMama Misty Snowball and Chelsea
        (missing angels Muffy'06, Bouncer'06, Ducky'05, Sweetie'03 and
        Fritzy'02)

        "I know you're there...a breath away's not far to where you are."

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 28, 2007
          Carol, I'd love to get your raw food recipe. Still no more of their
          usual prescription diet and I am searching for a homemade that I can
          do. There are so many problem with supplements and just food
          requirements with my 3 cats. This is just a terrible time to switch
          their food as my allergy girl is showing a reaction to something
          (probably insect spray, I have a problem in the kitchen).

          We don't have any veterinary potassium supplements here that's why the
          query.

          Thank you.

          Judith
        • nala nala
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 28, 2007
            Dear Judith,

            I loved the photo of Nessi you posted the other day !
            So small, so cute! What a beautiful Russian Blue.
            Glad that she is doing well.

            I don't remember exactly where Nessi is with her
            disease. It seemed like she was already in CHF
            when she was diagnosed due to the Rx for
            lasix. From what I have been reading lately (mostly
            Clarke Aikens), the recommendation is to not restrict
            sodium in the diet of a heart kitty unless that kitty
            is in/has been in CHF.

            If I remember rightly, she is on both furosemide and
            an ACE-inhibitor. The ACE-inhibitor leads to
            potassium
            retention while the furosemide causes the body to
            excrete potassium in the urine. Often these two drugs
            balance each other's effect on potassium levels.

            If Nessi has already been in CHF, as I think I
            remember,
            than rather than using "lite salt," which at least in
            the
            form made by Morton is a mix of Sodium Chloride
            and Potassium Chloride and also contains Iodine:

            1/4 tsp (volume) = 1.4 g (mass)
            290 mg Sodium
            340 mg Potassium
            60 mcg Iodine

            I would consider potassium gluconate. You can
            purchase
            potassium gluconate 99 (tablets) from GNC very
            cheaply.
            The ingredients are potassium gluconate and dextrose.
            Nothing else is in it. It is much cheaper than the
            options
            available at the vet and Cozette's bloodwork showed
            that it was as effective as Tumik-K when used at the
            same dosage (in mili-equivalents).
            You can also buy a powdered form or tablet form from
            other companies - e.g. NOW brand. These however
            have other additives. [Not sure about brands
            in Israel]. For me, liquid potassium chloride
            required
            a prescription and all of the KCl I had access to was
            flavored with a
            fruit syrup (Cozette said "YUCKY!!). I could not
            purchase it plain.

            Cozette's potassium was low and she did require
            supplementation to bring her potassium back up.
            After taking it for about 4 months (the GNC)
            her blood sugar only increased by 5 points (the
            dextrose in the tablet is what I suspect increased
            her blood sugar level).

            If Nessi doesn't really "need" it, you might consider
            crushing up a bit of a potassium gluconate tablet
            rather than the table salt.

            Hope this helps!

            Nala with Camille and Cozette in spirit.

            PS- The Merck Pet book that Vickie has been talking
            about is written for laypeople for pet care. The
            merck
            veterinary manual, available online, is written for
            veterinary professionals (although I look at it
            frequently
            and I am no vet. professional) - so they are actually
            two different books! But thanks for the reminder
            about the Veterinary manual online!

            Make Yahoo! your homepage.
            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs