worried about next echo

  • dshale1
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2007
      Hi, I know most of you have gone through this but any tips with how to
      deal with the anxiety of the first re-check echo? Pye was diagnosed
      with very mild HCM (basically it is just SAM) in May and next week she
      is having her second echo to see if there is any progression.

      The cardiologist gave her initial prognosis as good but said that
      long-term prognosis depends on the results of this upcoming echo. Pye
      has responded well to 1/4 tab of atenolol twice a day--her vet visits
      since initial diagnosis have all been good. Her heart rate has
      remained 140-150, which is what the cardiologist wants, and each time
      our vet listened (she has had a couple of routine visits in this time)
      he said he could no longer hear any heart murmur (at diagnosis it was
      grade 2).

      Our vet, whom I trust because he runs the oldest cats-only clinic in
      the city and has a lot of experience with heart kitties) has been a
      lot more optimistic than a lot of what I have read online. He said
      most cats with mild HCM that he has seen respond well to treatment and
      live a normal lifespan. He did say, of course, that a lot depends on
      what this next echo shows.

      My husband believes that the next echo will show stability because our
      cat has responded so well to the atenolol and she is also acting like
      her old self again (she was a bit lethargic at first with the
      atenolol). She just turned 10. We have been giving her taurine and
      CoQ10 in her food. We also feed her some Royal Canin for Maine Coons
      because it contains some heart healthy supplements, including
      carnithine (she is not a Maine Coon, however).

      I guess we are doing all we can but so much depends on the results of
      this upcoming echo that I am a nervous wreck. I keep reliving the
      first echo which was one of the worst days of my life. I was so afraid
      of the diagnosis that the minute the cardiologist walked in, I burst
      into tears, and this was before the echo.

      Any advice?

      Thanks--Susan