Introduction and questions

  • Melissa
    Message 1 of 2 , May 11, 2000
      Hi all,

      I joined this list after my CRF kitty, Popcorn was diagnosed with heart valve disease but haven't had time yet to post! Popcorn is also diabetic, has an enlarged heart, hypertension and has an arrhythmia with a pacemaker problem. He has been on Norvasc for nearly a year for the BP, but it wasn't bringing him down enough, even when we increased the dosage. I posted the following update and need for info on the CRF list, so I apologize for the double posting:

      Popcorn's blood pressure wasn't responding as well as we had hoped on the Norvasc alone, even when we increased the dosage. A week ago, our vet put Popcorn on a combination of Norvasc and Enacard. Yesterday, his blood pressure was 150 at the vet (and he was a little stressed), so we were all very pleased. However, we also did a renal panel at the same time. His creatinine went from a stable 3.4 (over the past few months) to 4.3! It's never been that high, so we're attributing it to the Enacard. Popcorn was also on a low dosage of valium to stimulate his appetite, but my vet does not feel that it's the valium that caused the problem.

      Has anyone had a negative effect using Norvasc & Enacard together or just Enacard alone? Our next step is to try an combination of Norvasc & Atenolol. Anyone have good/bad results with this combo?

      Popcorn doesn't have HCM but he does have Tricuspid Valve Insufficiency and arrhythmia with premature beats all over the place (no consistency). He is diabetic but very well controlled.

      His potassium level remained at 3.8 despite increasing his Tumil-K tablets to 1/2 tablet b.i.d. Should I increase the potassium?

      I'm really hoping the creatinine increase was due to the Enacard, and once he's off of it, his numbers will go back down. He was diagnosed with CRF nearly 2 years ago, and this is our biggest jump yet.

      Thank you in advance for any information!

      Melissa, Popcorn & Midnight

    • diane@mathermotorsports.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 11, 2000
        Hi Melissa,

        I don't know about the combination of the two drugs, but when Kearra
        was put on Enacard last fall, the vet wanted to see her after one
        week for a blood test than again after a month. The reason was to
        check her kidney levels as she said Enacard sometimes can affect the
        kidneys. Kearra levels were fine so she continues on it.

        At the time, I knew nothing about CRF and the only blood levels I
        knew were white blood cell counts from dealing with Frisky's chemo,
        so I never asked what Kearra's levels were. The vet said both tests
        were fine.

        Kearra also enjoys Frisky's KD so much that I give her the Enacard in
        a piece of it every morning. Keeps her away from Mr. Finicky.

        HTH,

        Diane
        74 MII Ghia
        http://www.74ghia.com