Cardiostrength

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
      I have just found out that Vetriscience cardiostrength is available in the
      UK here

      _Pilgrims Petcare Ltd> Home Page > Cats > Supplements > Specific Supps >
      Cardio-S 60 Caps_
      (http://www.pilgrimspets.com/product.php/47/0/cardio_s_60_caps)

      Also vetriscience are going to have their own website.

      _http://www.vetriscience.co.uk/_ (http://www.vetriscience.co.uk/)

      I've always had to import my coQ meds, but now hopefully my vet can order
      these for me.

      Lyn :)

      www.furkids-uk.com

    • Plum
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2010
        Hello,

        My HCM kitty has done well for nearly 3 years since his diagnosis. Now, the vets are worried about kidney levels and has asked me to start using Rx kidney diets. I don't think the quality of those products is high, so I am still trying to figure out what to do.

        I ordered some Cardiostrength and was wondering how you get your cat to take thesupplement; the pills are too large. Do you sprinkle it on the food or perhaps dissolve it in water and use a syringe?

        Thanks for your help.
      • Helen Peterson
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2010
          I m just wondering why you think the RX kidney diets aren t high quality? Both my HCM and CRF kitties get those diets. What do you know about them that I missed?? What do you feed your kitties?
          Thanks!

          On Sun May 2nd, 2010 11:14 PM PDT Plum wrote:

          >Hello,
          >
          >My HCM kitty has done well for nearly 3 years since his diagnosis. Now, the vets are worried about kidney levels and has asked me to start using Rx kidney diets. I don't think the quality of those products is high, so I am still trying to figure out what to do.
          >
          >I ordered some Cardiostrength and was wondering how you get your cat to take thesupplement; the pills are too large. Do you sprinkle it on the food or perhaps dissolve it in water and use a syringe?
          >
          >Thanks for your help.

        • Westgold
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2010
            Well, there is much debate about kidney diets. When my Pooh (who did not have heart disease) developed kidney problems I did a lot of research on this topic. They gave me some of that kidney diet food, and he HATED it. You can also do your own research. I concluded from everything I read that the main reason kidney kitties get so weak and thin and look like hell is mainly because of the kidney diets they are being fed. Cats are obligate carnivores, and need lots of PROTEIN all the time. The kidney diets limit protein so that the kidneys don't have to work so hard filtering it. However, I concluded that I would much rather give Pooh his usual high-protein canned food diet (Friskies, Fancy Feast) to keep his strength up, so that he could have the strength to fight the kidney disease. I was right. He stayed strong and did not die from kidney disease. Please do your own research, but I believe that kitties should be fed their regular canned food -- with extra water added, very important! They need lots of extra water when they have kidney issues. I also had to give Pooh SubQ fluids, they also made him feel a lot better. (Not all kitties with kidney problems need them, ask your vet.) If his kidney issues had gotten really worse before he died of a brain tumor, I may have switched him to a kidney diet, but I believe they are usually necessary only in the very last end stages of kidney disease, when there is almost no kidney function left. I am not a vet, but there's plenty of research out there -- you can do your own and make your own conclusions.

            My HCM kitty has done well for nearly 3 years since his diagnosis. Now, the vets are worried about kidney levels and has asked me to start using Rx kidney diets. I don't think the quality of those products is high, so I am still trying to figure out what to do.

            I ordered some Cardiostrength and was wondering how you get your cat to take thesupplement; the pills are too large. Do you sprinkle it on the food or perhaps dissolve it in water and use a syringe?

            Thanks for your help.

          • daisyfoxworth
            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2010

              > The kidney diets limit protein so that the kidneys don't have to work so hard filtering it.

              # I'm not convinced that is how a low protein diet is processed. The commercial kidney diets substitute a lot of grain for high quality animal protein. Grain still includes protein, but very low quality, so the potential to generate nitrogenous waste products that would not have been generated by a higher quality protein. That means more stress on the kidneys.

              # So I too would prefer to stick with a grainless, high quality all-animal-based-protein food, which I tweak as called for by my cat's most recent bloodwork. 28 months into CRF diagnosis you would never know looking at my cat's serum values that she has kidney disease. She still does not need subQ fluids. She does need a lot of potassium and B-vitamins. I individualize for the best nutritional diet I can provide her.

              > If his kidney issues had gotten really worse before he died of a brain tumor, I may have switched him to a kidney diet

              # As far as I'm concerned I *am* feeding a kidney diet, one optimized over time for my particular cat.

              Daisy and Ginger