Paris update!

  • newangelique
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2007
      Hello my AOMS family.

      Sorry I have not been on in the last week. I have checked a couple
      posts, but I have 490 in my in-box right now.

      I am so sorry for all the losses that have happened and wether I read
      about them or not I am praying in general for everyone that lost their
      babies out there.

      I know everyone is awaiting Paris's story so here we go.

      We were suppose to go to the University of St. Paul, MN on Tuesday at
      330am, but i had to cancel. I was so very sick. I talked with Terri
      to get her thoughts and we decided it would not be good for us to go.
      I would be miserable and would have a hard time understanding and
      focusing on things.

      So, we were able to reschedule for Thursday morning.

      WOW! What a trip.

      There were no 24 hour Starbucks anywhere close and the way I took had
      a lot of construction. There were a lot of animals on the side of the
      road, which was hard to see, but then. There was a beautiful gray
      kitten that looked just liked Paris, when he was little.

      Although, we were driving 70 at this time the two of us made eye
      contact. I slowed down, stopped and started to reverse to pick the
      kitten up. I then realized that it would post pone the trip, I could
      be late and the kitten could have flees, which I would pass on to
      others at the University.

      So, I decided to drive on. I then prayed and thanked God for never
      hitting or injuring an animal before... Yeah, guess what happened..
      A raccoon ran out and I could not swerve out of the way enough. The
      thing was huge and Paris was not happy.

      I pulled of the free way as soon as I could to relax and then check
      the car and clean up Paris's mess from the shock of things. This then
      caused us to be running late. Which we were by a 1/2 hour. The
      University was very understanding.

      Here is what we know.

      Blood Pressure: 118 Systolic by Doppler (normal)
      Respiratory: 60 bpm, mild abdominal component
      Mucous Membranes: CRT <2 sec.
      Pemoral Pulse: 168bpm
      Abdominal Palpation: Enlarged descending colon, moderately distended
      bladedr
      Hydration: adequate

      Ausculation:
      HR 168 bpm
      Rhythm: Sinus, occasional extra systoles ausculted
      Murmur:
      left: grade 2/6
      Timing: systolic
      Pitch: low
      Shape: plateau
      PMI: left paraternal

      Other systems:
      Skin: mulitple small well-circumscribed scabs
      eyes, musculoskeletal, Lymph: WNL
      Ears: Mild cermunious debris AU
      Oral: suspected forl on the upper right 1st premolar, painful when
      touched with chattering response
      Nervous: Pain elicited on caudal lumbar vertebral palpation

      Chest Radiographs: Equivocal evidence of biatrial enlargement, patchy
      caudal and perihilar interstitial pattern, dilated and tortuous
      pulmonary veins, indicative of heart filure.

      Echo: Unclassified Cardiomyopathy with occasional extrasystoles.
      Sever left atrial enlargement is present. Several false tendons are
      also present within the left ventricle, as in mild subendocardial
      fibrosis.

      MEDICATION:

      Lasix: furosemide, 20mg 1/2 tab 2x/day
      Enalapril: 2.5mg 1/2 tab every 48 hours for 7 days etc....
      Aspirin: 5mg cap; 1 every 72 hours

      DIAGNOSIS: Paris is currently in the early stages of congestive heart
      failure (again) today. Mild fulid accumulation in lungs and
      substantial distention of the pulmonary veins.

      Paris has been diagnosed with UNCLASSIFIED CARDIOMYOPATHY OR UCM.
      There is no cure and the average life span is 1-3 months sometimes a year.

      They said there are a couple of things that could happen, eventually
      the meds would not work and his lungs would fill, or a blood clot, or
      he may pass in his sleep.

      So there it is. My cat Presley is also not well and in the end stages
      of CRF.

      Life stinks right about now. 3 cats in less then a year.

      I am miserable.

      Thanks for caring.

      Sincerely,

      Angelique and Paris

      The other Kitties too.
    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2007
        Angelique,

        We all understand how hard it is to hear that our babies aren't well. I just wanted to comment on the life expectancy. The truth is that the vets just don't know how long a kitty will live with cardiomyopathy. There have been many kitties in this group that outlived their prognosis and then some. There have been many kitties with CHF that have lived years with it. Do not give up hope just because of what you are told or read. A big part of why our heart kitties live longer is the love we give, the meds and the supplements. I am a firm believer in the supplements this group uses like CoQ10, taurine and l-carnitine to start. There are others too. If you need more info, just ask. We are here to help all we can, emotionally and informationally.

        Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2007
          In a message dated 11/6/2007 2:41:21 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          leahandhercats@... writes:

          I am a firm believer in the supplements this group uses like CoQ10, taurine
          and l-carnitine to start. There are others too. If you need more info, just
          ask.

          Leah, yes I'd like more info on the supplements. Is there a website that
          would be useful to get me started? It's been ages (five years!) since my Oz
          first had heart failure and I studied everything. So much seems to have
          changed since then.

          And yes, I sooooooooo agree about taking the "life expectency" with a grain
          of salt.

          Tia (and Oz)

        • Janie
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2007
            Hey hang in there. I dont know how old this kitty is but they told me
            my cats wouldnt live long and He lived from 5 to 12yrs old . So forget
            the death sentence. Love him and get the meds in. My other cat Blackie
            was given a month and she lived 5 yrs. Keep positive and love him.
            Good luck Janie