Re:Heart murmur question

  • toomany_kittys
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4 2:23 AM
      Hi Lyn,
      Different things can cause transient heart murmurs. My dog was
      allergic to one of the drugs in anaesthetic and it caused a bad heart
      murmur only when she was under anaesthetic. It happened twice -
      surgery was called off, she was given antidotes and when the
      anaesthetic wore off no murmur whatsoever. She then had a cardiac
      ultrasound and her heart was perfect except for a slight deviation
      with a valve. She lived to be almost 18 and her heart was fine.
      It could be the anemia, or your kitty may have an allergy, but it's
      great that he doesn't have HCM.
      El

      > Hi Amanda
      >
      > My Toby Pepper has a variable heart murmur. It's been heard as a
      grade 3 and
      > then disappeared by the next appointment. On his echo (he had the
      FAB
      > subsidised scan in the UK) he was found to have no HCM and they
      couldn't explain
      > why he sometimes had a heart murmur except for some slightly
      strange movements
      > of the valves. Toby is classed as HCM negative and has a repeat
      scan yearly.

      > You say your kitty is anaemic. I'm sure I read somewhere that
      anaemia can
      > cause heart murmurs and it was one of the things my kittens were
      tested for when
      > they found they had HCM. Could the anaemia be an underlying
      problem?

      > Lyn :)
      >
      > www.furkids-uk.com

    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6 11:42 AM
        Amanda,

        Are you giving any supplements? If so, they may be helping some.

        Leah and her cats and Angel Alec