Re:Heart murmur question

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2007
      Hi Amanda

      My Toby Pepper has a variable heart murmur. It's been heard as a grade 3 and
      then disappeared by the next appointment. On his echo (he had the FAB
      subsidised scan in the UK) he was found to have no HCM and they couldn't explain
      why he sometimes had a heart murmur except for some slightly strange movements
      of the valves. Toby is classed as HCM negative and has a repeat scan yearly.

      You say your kitty is anaemic. I'm sure I read somewhere that anaemia can
      cause heart murmurs and it was one of the things my kittens were tested for when
      they found they had HCM. Could the anaemia be an underlying problem?

      Lyn :)

      www.furkids-uk.com

    • toomany_kittys
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2007
        Hi Lyn,
        Different things can cause transient heart murmurs. My dog was
        allergic to one of the drugs in anaesthetic and it caused a bad heart
        murmur only when she was under anaesthetic. It happened twice -
        surgery was called off, she was given antidotes and when the
        anaesthetic wore off no murmur whatsoever. She then had a cardiac
        ultrasound and her heart was perfect except for a slight deviation
        with a valve. She lived to be almost 18 and her heart was fine.
        It could be the anemia, or your kitty may have an allergy, but it's
        great that he doesn't have HCM.
        El

        > Hi Amanda
        >
        > My Toby Pepper has a variable heart murmur. It's been heard as a
        grade 3 and
        > then disappeared by the next appointment. On his echo (he had the
        FAB
        > subsidised scan in the UK) he was found to have no HCM and they
        couldn't explain
        > why he sometimes had a heart murmur except for some slightly
        strange movements
        > of the valves. Toby is classed as HCM negative and has a repeat
        scan yearly.

        > You say your kitty is anaemic. I'm sure I read somewhere that
        anaemia can
        > cause heart murmurs and it was one of the things my kittens were
        tested for when
        > they found they had HCM. Could the anaemia be an underlying
        problem?

        > Lyn :)
        >
        > www.furkids-uk.com

      • Leah Ferron
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2007
          Amanda,

          Are you giving any supplements? If so, they may be helping some.

          Leah and her cats and Angel Alec