Heart murmur question

  • jamander33
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2007
      Hi everyone, it has been a little while since I have posted, but I
      have a question I need some help with. My kitty, Griffin, went to the
      vet today to have his bloodwork done before his dental Monday. We did
      that so that she could put his catheter in and immediately start
      Monday am. He is such a stresser and she wants to make the anesthesia
      as least stressful as possible. Anyway, when she was listening to his
      heart today, she had to really search and listen very hard to hear his
      murmur. She said it was barely there. And, in the past it has been a
      very loud Grade III. She seemed baffled by it, but somewhat pleased.
      We did not linger on it too long because we were just dealing with the
      matter at hand - how to best prepare Griffin for his dental. She did
      also find that he is slightly anemic. She said that it can happen when
      he is fighting a chronic condition - which you may remember he has
      been battling some yucky deep seeded airway bacterial infection. So,
      if anyone has ever heard of this happening, as far as the heart murmur
      being barely audible (without any heart meds), please lend your
      thoughts. I am totally confused. His last heart ultrasound was in
      early July this year. He was still classified as mild HOCM. Thank you!
      Amanda and Griffin
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2007
        Hi Amanda

        My Toby Pepper has a variable heart murmur. It's been heard as a grade 3 and
        then disappeared by the next appointment. On his echo (he had the FAB
        subsidised scan in the UK) he was found to have no HCM and they couldn't explain
        why he sometimes had a heart murmur except for some slightly strange movements
        of the valves. Toby is classed as HCM negative and has a repeat scan yearly.

        You say your kitty is anaemic. I'm sure I read somewhere that anaemia can
        cause heart murmurs and it was one of the things my kittens were tested for when
        they found they had HCM. Could the anaemia be an underlying problem?

        Lyn :)

        www.furkids-uk.com

      • toomany_kittys
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2007
          Hi Lyn,
          Different things can cause transient heart murmurs. My dog was
          allergic to one of the drugs in anaesthetic and it caused a bad heart
          murmur only when she was under anaesthetic. It happened twice -
          surgery was called off, she was given antidotes and when the
          anaesthetic wore off no murmur whatsoever. She then had a cardiac
          ultrasound and her heart was perfect except for a slight deviation
          with a valve. She lived to be almost 18 and her heart was fine.
          It could be the anemia, or your kitty may have an allergy, but it's
          great that he doesn't have HCM.
          El

          > Hi Amanda
          >
          > My Toby Pepper has a variable heart murmur. It's been heard as a
          grade 3 and
          > then disappeared by the next appointment. On his echo (he had the
          FAB
          > subsidised scan in the UK) he was found to have no HCM and they
          couldn't explain
          > why he sometimes had a heart murmur except for some slightly
          strange movements
          > of the valves. Toby is classed as HCM negative and has a repeat
          scan yearly.

          > You say your kitty is anaemic. I'm sure I read somewhere that
          anaemia can
          > cause heart murmurs and it was one of the things my kittens were
          tested for when
          > they found they had HCM. Could the anaemia be an underlying
          problem?

          > Lyn :)
          >
          > www.furkids-uk.com

        • Leah Ferron
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2007
            Amanda,

            Are you giving any supplements? If so, they may be helping some.

            Leah and her cats and Angel Alec