Re:Quick advice please!

  • Vickie
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
      That is so great he's back. That has happened to my mom several
      times, and then the cat shows up.

      Have his Bun/Crea and BG checked for sure.

      Maybe he was locked up in someone garage, or basement?

      I had a cat that was gone for a long time and ended up finding him locked
      up in a back portion of my neighbors house. It's amazing how
      long they can go w/o food and water.

      keep us updated.

      Makes me wonder sometimes if all these heart pills or over kill that our
      cats our on. Here you cat was gone 6 wks w/no meds? Good thing
      even if he has to be on heart pills again, maybe you can start at a lower
      does. Sometimes I think Baby is on more meds then what he needs, on
      the other hand it would also be a risk if he would go into CHF. Although
      I'm sure a lot of it was all due to the Atenolol he was on.

      Vickie
      In memory of angel Onyx 12/27/02 and Smudge 5/01/04
      Beware of Feline Diabetes !!!
    • kimba44024
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
        Hi all! Well I called the new vet this morning and I'm not sure if
        she was comfy seeing Oz, so I tried the referral clinic and that
        didn't work out (more on that follows). I called my vet's office
        again to see if they can at least do a chest x-ray, blood test, plus
        I had better get a feline leukemia and HIV test on him too. So I
        have an appt. in a couple of hours there.

        Now for the referral clinic, they were WONDERFUL as always, but in a
        nutshell I would have to take him in as an emergency (which he
        isn't), his cardiologist isn't in on the weekends, so we're in the
        same boat seeing a vet that doesn't know his history. I happen to
        have enough in savings to pay for an echo, simply because I always
        kept an "Oz" fund for emergencies, but I figured I would be better
        off taking him to my vet for the bloodwork, x-ray, and hopefully get
        him re-started on his meds. THEN I will call on Monday and schedule
        an echo. I'm hoping this way the money will stretch further and I
        can afford to get the echo right away.

        I AM a bit apprehensive about just restarting his meds, but I guess
        I'll gauge my vet's (remember she's only been my new vet for 6 weeks
        and I don't know how much she knows about HCM) knowledge when I see
        her today. IS THERE ANYONE ON THIS LIST that has ever had their cat
        miss meds and had to re-start?

        Sue and El and Dody, THANK YOU so much for your fast reply! This
        list saved Oz's life so long ago and I knew I could come back here
        and get reassurance. It's funny because I was going to pass on his
        meds because I figured he had passed on, and something kept holding
        me back <g>. A story that only you guys would understand....I
        grieved for weeks and all the while kept his favorite flavor of cat
        food (trout) up where no one would accidentally feed it to our other
        cats. The second he got in the house last night, out came that trout
        can. ;)

        Sue, of course I'll see what the vet says, but if she's not
        comfortable with the HCM then I may be forced to decide what to do
        myself. I'll get the blood results and post to the list, but if I
        have to re-start his meds on my own, would you think cut his pills in
        half for a few days and see how he does?

        El, good idea checking his respiration. It was at 15 exhales per
        minute, a little low for him but not "low", right? He does seem a
        bit dehydrated, not bad, but he is drinking fine (and not as much as
        last night).

        Dody, I'm glad your Dakota is seeming better. Gosh I've been away
        from this list so long that I have never even heard of natto. I read
        all of the files last night and it seems there are a lot of new
        theories on cardiomyopathy since I've been away. I look forward to
        learning a bunch more!

        Tia (and OZ)
      • elanonuevo@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
          In a message dated 11/3/2007 10:30:46 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          VickieJunger@... writes:

          Have his Bun/Crea and BG checked for sure.

          THANK YOU Vickie! What is BG, I can't remember....the bun/crea I did
          remember, and I also think just for the heck of it I want his T4 checked...I mean
          this cat is at least HALF of the weight he was at six weeks ago. I'm with
          ya...how in the world did he live? His thryoid has supposedly been checked
          before but this just doesn't make any sense. Not that I'm complaining, hehe.

          Tia (and OZ) <----it feels SO good to type that again!!!

        • moonpye
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
            Hi Tia,

            I am soooo happy that your Oz is home!! :)

            Skylar was tapered off his Atenolol and stayed off it for almost 3
            months....then he restarted it at a lower dose..
            He went off of the Atenolol because it was too strong with his other med for
            him when he first started them together.

            His murmur came back strong when he was off the Atenolol and now it can
            not be heard at all.

            Hugs to you and Oz,
            Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar

            On 11/3/07, kimba44024 <elanonuevo@...> wrote:

            > I AM a bit apprehensive about just restarting his meds, but I guess
            > I'll gauge my vet's (remember she's only been my new vet for 6 weeks
            > and I don't know how much she knows about HCM) knowledge when I see
            > her today. IS THERE ANYONE ON THIS LIST that has ever had their cat
            > miss meds and had to re-start?
            >
            > Tia (and OZ)

          • Janie
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2007
              Thats great about OZ. I like his name too. I dont know what he had
              maybe he had DCM? Anyway the echo will tell you the story. Thats the
              main thing to pay for when in doubt. What I found out with people,
              myself as I have DCM, is that if you take beta blockers long enough I
              take coreg which the cats take a dif one it can reverse the damage in
              the heart to make your ejection fraction even normal. In people they
              keep you on the meds as it has not been proven yet to go off them. I
              have taken them 5 yrs and now my ejection fraction is almost normal. I
              also wondered did he lose a lot of weight? That too can help. I think
              the echo will give you the answer Maybe he didnt have it?

              I think no one on here ever has the EF of their cat and I think that is
              important. How the heart pumps have seen Sockster be pretty good and
              then in the winter his was so bad then it got better??? Unless you have
              a lot of money you can get dif answers ea time you do an echo but they
              should be sorta the same and in HCM the thickness is the problem.

              Whatever. Sockster showed NO symptoms as did My Trampster too. You
              would never know it she ran around at 17 like a kitten tell she went
              into the end and she was gone in a week. Sockster would get tired as he
              played so rough but if I hadnt gotten an echo of these guys and kept
              them on meds they would not lived Sockster to 12 and Trampster to 17.
              So if the echo show he has it get him back on antenoel (sp) and watch
              for signs of lasix needed. Mine didnt need it tell it was the end.

              I hope the echo comes out good. Thats wonderful hes back. Janie and gang