question

  • dodesrottie
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      That's great news about OZ by the way. My neighbor had my cat in her
      house for a week and I was beside myself with worrying about if she
      was dead.

      Dakota threw another clot, but smaller this time. I came home on
      Wednesday and his back legs were not working. He didn't seem to be in
      pain but was distressed. I gave him a quarter of an aspirin and 50ml
      of Natto. He ate an entire jar of baby food. I called the vet and she
      said it was a good sign that he was eating because cats in pain don't
      eat. I picked up some pain killer for him just in case the next
      morning. Today he is walking again, not 100%, but not bad.

      My question is. I've been giving him 50ml of natto a day. I'm
      wondering if I am not giving him enough. Does anyone know how much a 7
      pound cat can have?

      Thank you,
      Dody, Dakota, and Vanessa
    • Leah Ferron
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 6, 2007
        Dody,

        There has been some discussion on this in our group before. If you search the archives you will probably find it. Some people believe it is best to give the natto so that it is constantly in your kitties system. It would not hurt to give the natto at least 2x per day since Dakota has had and is still having clots. The problem you need to worry about is bleeding which is the case with any blood thinner. There really isn't much data on what the max is for natto but 50mg/day is probably no where near it.

        Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

      • ushoover
        Message 3 of 8 , May 20 8:01 PM
          Hi, I placed a retired stud with a family, and they have called me about some strange symptoms, He is 10 years old and I am worried about heart disease, he is breathing short and quick, has a slight cough, and a large abdomen, I am taking him to the vet tomorrow, but I am worried, can heart disease a include a swollen abdomen? I have also looked up wet FIP, but heart disease seems more likly, and has a chance at treatment, I am hoping for some input before we go to the vet tomorrow afternoon, Dianne
        • Westgold
          Message 4 of 8 , May 20 8:38 PM
            yes, he could have fluid around his heart or lungs, that's why he's coughing. He needs help asap. They can drain the fluids if necessary to make it easier to breathe, but they have to do some tests first. Please let us know how it goes. If he gets really bad labored breathing tonight, you must take him in to an emergency vet *immediately* -- that can be life-threatening. This is probably not FIP, it is probably heart failure -- and this is a major emergency --

          • elfinmyst@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , May 22 4:32 AM
              Hi

              Yes, heart failure can affect either side of the heart. Left sided affects
              the lungs and fluid builds up there and right sided backs into the body.
              When Milli had right sided, she looked like she had swallowed a beach ball.
              FIP is unlikely in a ten year old cat.

              This cat sounds in heart failure,. It is an emergency. The fluid is
              drowning them and they need immediate treatment.