Rasputin update

  • Annette
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2007
      G'day friends It is now 21/2 weeks since Rassie had his last chest tap. His breathing is better now than immediately after the last procedure. Just under 2 weeks ago around 2am he was struggling so much I had the phone in hand to ring the 24 hour Vet to say this is it instead I crushed 1/2 a lasix (20mg) and gave it to him in liquid form About an hour later he passed so much urine I thought he would never stop just on an hour later again he had a repeat performance jumped back on the bed and slept soundly with his breathing much improved. Since then I have given him 1/2 tab morning and night with 1/4 spiro at night. The new Vet also organised some liquid Pot Gluconate for him. The only time he struggles to breath is when he purrs. Then he has his mouth wide open and his sides are heaving and he sounds like a rusty hinge in a windstorm. As he is the worlds biggest mushbucket and paw pats and head buts until I stroke him, as much as I love to hear him purring in this case I also hate to see him struggle. So far the increased meds are holding him cheers Annette Rasputin and Pfeiffer in Sth Oz

    • Sue at MAGDRL
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2007
        Annette,

        SOunds good! Pepper was getting 60mg of lasix plus 12.5mg spiro each day to
        keep her fluid under control. They later replced the spiro with 6.25mg
        spiro-hctz. I would say you had the right idea with crushing the lasix.
        The vets don't always know - they're not perfect and it seems that they're
        all learning. Not a bad thing unless they tell you it's the end when it's
        really not.

        Great news! Keep it up!

        Sue & angel Pepper

        > G'day friends It is now 21/2 weeks since Rassie had his last chest tap.
        His breathing is better now than immediately after the last procedure. Just
        under 2 weeks ago around 2am he was struggling so much I had the phone in
        hand to ring the 24 hour Vet to say this is it instead I crushed 1/2 a
        lasix (20mg) and gave it to him in liquid form About an hour later he
        passed so much urine I thought he would never stop just on an hour later
        again he had a repeat performance jumped back on the bed and slept
        soundly with his breathing much improved. Since then I have given him 1/2
        tab morning and night with 1/4 spiro at night. The new Vet also organised
        some liquid Pot Gluconate for him. The only time he struggles to breath is
        when he purrs. Then he has his mouth wide open and his sides are heaving
        and he sounds like a rusty hinge in a windstorm. As he is the worlds
        biggest mushbucket and paw pats and head buts until I stroke him, as much
        as I love to hear him purring in this case I also hate to see him struggle.
        So far the increased meds are holding him cheers Annette Rasputin and
        Pfeiffer in Sth Oz

      • Leah Ferron
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2007
          Annette,

          I am glad to hear that Rassie is doing better. It would seem that increasing the lasix dosage was just what he needed. I understand you are worried about his kidneys too but when the heart stops working it won't matter what the kidneys are doing.

          Leah and her cats and Angel Alec