Re: Quick advice please!

  • toomany_kittys
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2007
      Tia,
      That's great news!! Wow!
      I agree with Sue. One thing I might add is to check his breaths per
      minute.
      Hope all goes well.
      El
      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "kimba44024" <elanonuevo@...>
      wrote:

      > My cat Oz got outside on the 14th of September and HE CAME HOME
      > TONIGHT!!! I thought for sure he had passed away, what a WONDERFUL
      > surprise I got at my back door tonight!!
      >
      > But now I need help knowing what to do for him tonight. He has
      > hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. He was on enalpril, atenolol, lasix,
      > and baby aspirin. In the past when he has crashed, we have had to
      > give him sub Q's to keep him going.
      >
      > Amazingly, for being off his meds for six weeks (!!!) he looks
      > wonderful! He isn't side breathing, but he is drinking a ton of
      > water, which is what prompted me to write to the list.
      >
      > Our vet passed away, ironically just a few days before Oz
      > disappeared. I do have a new vet that I've taken my other dogs to,
      > but I am not sure if she is qualified to deal with HCM. I am
      > hesitant to call her tonight and rely on her advice until I have
      > dealt with her regarding the HCM. I hope that I can take Oz in
      > tomorrow for bloodwork, etc.
      >
      > My gut says no meds until he is tested to see what he needs again,
      > and doses.
      >
      > But in the meantime....since he's drinking all of the
      water...that's
      > not necessarily a bad thing, right? If his kidneys are stressed
      too
      > much, then he wouldn't be drinking on his own, correct?
      >
      > He's meowing all over the place, and he always does that when he's
      > feeling bad, but he is not side-breathing one bit and his heart
      > doesn't seem to be racing. So am I okay waiting it out? I COULD
      get
      > in the car and drive him to the Referral Clinic. It's 1.5 hours
      away
      > though, and I hate doing that to him if I don't have to at 9:30 at
      > night. Not to mention he is horrible in the car so for 6.5 years
      > I've only taken him there for his echocardiograms.
      >
      > If I have to during the night, I am *thinking* it is safe to give
      him
      > half of a lasix? He really doesn't seem to be side breathing so it
      > would only be if I started seeing that.
      >
      > Any and all advice is welcome! I'm SO HAPPY THAT MY OZ CAME HOME!!
      >
      > Thank you all!!
      >
      > Tia (and Ozzie)

    • Sue at MAGDRL
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2007
        Tia,

        This is fantastic news!!!

        I would definitely have him checked out as soon as possible, but certainly
        not as an emergency. If you could get an appointment within the next few
        days, that should be fine as long as he's not showing signs of stress.

        And I would start him back on low doses of his medication. Can you call one
        of your vets tomorrow for a phone consult?

        Sue & angel Pepper

        > My cat Oz got outside on the 14th of September and HE CAME HOME
        > TONIGHT!!! I thought for sure he had passed away, what a WONDERFUL
        > surprise I got at my back door tonight!!
        >
        > But now I need help knowing what to do for him tonight. He has
        > hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. He was on enalpril, atenolol, lasix,
        > and baby aspirin. In the past when he has crashed, we have had to
        > give him sub Q's to keep him going.
        >
        > Amazingly, for being off his meds for six weeks (!!!) he looks
        > wonderful! He isn't side breathing, but he is drinking a ton of
        > water, which is what prompted me to write to the list.
        >
        > Our vet passed away, ironically just a few days before Oz
        > disappeared. I do have a new vet that I've taken my other dogs to,
        > but I am not sure if she is qualified to deal with HCM. I am
        > hesitant to call her tonight and rely on her advice until I have
        > dealt with her regarding the HCM. I hope that I can take Oz in
        > tomorrow for bloodwork, etc.
        >
        > My gut says no meds until he is tested to see what he needs again,
        > and doses.
        >
        > But in the meantime....since he's drinking all of the water...that's
        > not necessarily a bad thing, right? If his kidneys are stressed too
        > much, then he wouldn't be drinking on his own, correct?
        >
        > He's meowing all over the place, and he always does that when he's
        > feeling bad, but he is not side-breathing one bit and his heart
        > doesn't seem to be racing. So am I okay waiting it out? I COULD get
        > in the car and drive him to the Referral Clinic. It's 1.5 hours away
        > though, and I hate doing that to him if I don't have to at 9:30 at
        > night. Not to mention he is horrible in the car so for 6.5 years
        > I've only taken him there for his echocardiograms.
        >
        > If I have to during the night, I am *thinking* it is safe to give him
        > half of a lasix? He really doesn't seem to be side breathing so it
        > would only be if I started seeing that.
        >
        > Any and all advice is welcome! I'm SO HAPPY THAT MY OZ CAME HOME!!
        >
        > Thank you all!!
        >
        > Tia (and Ozzie)

      • Vickie
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
          That is so great he's back. That has happened to my mom several
          times, and then the cat shows up.

          Have his Bun/Crea and BG checked for sure.

          Maybe he was locked up in someone garage, or basement?

          I had a cat that was gone for a long time and ended up finding him locked
          up in a back portion of my neighbors house. It's amazing how
          long they can go w/o food and water.

          keep us updated.

          Makes me wonder sometimes if all these heart pills or over kill that our
          cats our on. Here you cat was gone 6 wks w/no meds? Good thing
          even if he has to be on heart pills again, maybe you can start at a lower
          does. Sometimes I think Baby is on more meds then what he needs, on
          the other hand it would also be a risk if he would go into CHF. Although
          I'm sure a lot of it was all due to the Atenolol he was on.

          Vickie
          In memory of angel Onyx 12/27/02 and Smudge 5/01/04
          Beware of Feline Diabetes !!!
        • kimba44024
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
            Hi all! Well I called the new vet this morning and I'm not sure if
            she was comfy seeing Oz, so I tried the referral clinic and that
            didn't work out (more on that follows). I called my vet's office
            again to see if they can at least do a chest x-ray, blood test, plus
            I had better get a feline leukemia and HIV test on him too. So I
            have an appt. in a couple of hours there.

            Now for the referral clinic, they were WONDERFUL as always, but in a
            nutshell I would have to take him in as an emergency (which he
            isn't), his cardiologist isn't in on the weekends, so we're in the
            same boat seeing a vet that doesn't know his history. I happen to
            have enough in savings to pay for an echo, simply because I always
            kept an "Oz" fund for emergencies, but I figured I would be better
            off taking him to my vet for the bloodwork, x-ray, and hopefully get
            him re-started on his meds. THEN I will call on Monday and schedule
            an echo. I'm hoping this way the money will stretch further and I
            can afford to get the echo right away.

            I AM a bit apprehensive about just restarting his meds, but I guess
            I'll gauge my vet's (remember she's only been my new vet for 6 weeks
            and I don't know how much she knows about HCM) knowledge when I see
            her today. IS THERE ANYONE ON THIS LIST that has ever had their cat
            miss meds and had to re-start?

            Sue and El and Dody, THANK YOU so much for your fast reply! This
            list saved Oz's life so long ago and I knew I could come back here
            and get reassurance. It's funny because I was going to pass on his
            meds because I figured he had passed on, and something kept holding
            me back <g>. A story that only you guys would understand....I
            grieved for weeks and all the while kept his favorite flavor of cat
            food (trout) up where no one would accidentally feed it to our other
            cats. The second he got in the house last night, out came that trout
            can. ;)

            Sue, of course I'll see what the vet says, but if she's not
            comfortable with the HCM then I may be forced to decide what to do
            myself. I'll get the blood results and post to the list, but if I
            have to re-start his meds on my own, would you think cut his pills in
            half for a few days and see how he does?

            El, good idea checking his respiration. It was at 15 exhales per
            minute, a little low for him but not "low", right? He does seem a
            bit dehydrated, not bad, but he is drinking fine (and not as much as
            last night).

            Dody, I'm glad your Dakota is seeming better. Gosh I've been away
            from this list so long that I have never even heard of natto. I read
            all of the files last night and it seems there are a lot of new
            theories on cardiomyopathy since I've been away. I look forward to
            learning a bunch more!

            Tia (and OZ)
          • elanonuevo@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
              In a message dated 11/3/2007 10:30:46 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              VickieJunger@... writes:

              Have his Bun/Crea and BG checked for sure.

              THANK YOU Vickie! What is BG, I can't remember....the bun/crea I did
              remember, and I also think just for the heck of it I want his T4 checked...I mean
              this cat is at least HALF of the weight he was at six weeks ago. I'm with
              ya...how in the world did he live? His thryoid has supposedly been checked
              before but this just doesn't make any sense. Not that I'm complaining, hehe.

              Tia (and OZ) <----it feels SO good to type that again!!!

            • moonpye
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 3, 2007
                Hi Tia,

                I am soooo happy that your Oz is home!! :)

                Skylar was tapered off his Atenolol and stayed off it for almost 3
                months....then he restarted it at a lower dose..
                He went off of the Atenolol because it was too strong with his other med for
                him when he first started them together.

                His murmur came back strong when he was off the Atenolol and now it can
                not be heard at all.

                Hugs to you and Oz,
                Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar

                On 11/3/07, kimba44024 <elanonuevo@...> wrote:

                > I AM a bit apprehensive about just restarting his meds, but I guess
                > I'll gauge my vet's (remember she's only been my new vet for 6 weeks
                > and I don't know how much she knows about HCM) knowledge when I see
                > her today. IS THERE ANYONE ON THIS LIST that has ever had their cat
                > miss meds and had to re-start?
                >
                > Tia (and OZ)

              • Janie
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 4, 2007
                  Thats great about OZ. I like his name too. I dont know what he had
                  maybe he had DCM? Anyway the echo will tell you the story. Thats the
                  main thing to pay for when in doubt. What I found out with people,
                  myself as I have DCM, is that if you take beta blockers long enough I
                  take coreg which the cats take a dif one it can reverse the damage in
                  the heart to make your ejection fraction even normal. In people they
                  keep you on the meds as it has not been proven yet to go off them. I
                  have taken them 5 yrs and now my ejection fraction is almost normal. I
                  also wondered did he lose a lot of weight? That too can help. I think
                  the echo will give you the answer Maybe he didnt have it?

                  I think no one on here ever has the EF of their cat and I think that is
                  important. How the heart pumps have seen Sockster be pretty good and
                  then in the winter his was so bad then it got better??? Unless you have
                  a lot of money you can get dif answers ea time you do an echo but they
                  should be sorta the same and in HCM the thickness is the problem.

                  Whatever. Sockster showed NO symptoms as did My Trampster too. You
                  would never know it she ran around at 17 like a kitten tell she went
                  into the end and she was gone in a week. Sockster would get tired as he
                  played so rough but if I hadnt gotten an echo of these guys and kept
                  them on meds they would not lived Sockster to 12 and Trampster to 17.
                  So if the echo show he has it get him back on antenoel (sp) and watch
                  for signs of lasix needed. Mine didnt need it tell it was the end.

                  I hope the echo comes out good. Thats wonderful hes back. Janie and gang