Re:coq10

  • Sharyl Cline
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2007
      Cherie, I mix Pequita's in a little meat baby food (no onions or garlic) and syringe feed it to her. If you pill her with the capsule be sure to immediately follow up with a syringe of water or food.
      Sharyl Pequita and Angel Albert

    • r
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 8, 2013
        Hi All,

        May's respiration is up again, not awful but enough to make her uncomfortable. We went to and extra 3mg lasix dose every other day 3 weeks ago. It seemed to help. For the past few days, she's elevated again and not as comfortable as usual.

        At first our cardiologist said ok on coq10, probably wouldn't help but wouldn't hurt. Recently as said not to add anything to her mix.

        She gets:
        3mg lasix/day, an extra 3mg every other day
        1.25 benazepril daily
        1.8 plavix
        2mg ondansetron
        9 or 18 mg zantac

        Reading the few files with links that work in the coq10 section of files here, the data is human. There is one that goes over coq10 and blood thinners but the link doesn't work so I can't read it.

        Should I start coq10 to see if it can help her heart process better? Only alternative seems to be going to two doses of 3mg lasix every day instead of eod. Her kidneys are fragile, 4.6 crea, electrolytes all in range except calcium just over, and hct good
        I don't want to add any other supplements/meds but...I need to do something.

        Is coq10 likely to help here? How long from first dose to seeing beneficial effects? (I have 30mg capsules but would start slow, say 10mg a couple times then build to the entire capsule)

        Thank you for any thoughts or experience you can share.

        -Lee and May
      • elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 8, 2013
          Hi Lee

          That's a very low dose of lasix she is on, so there is room for extra ,
          even allowing for kidneys. Also the benazepril is a very low dose too, mine
          take 5mg a day of that. Benazepril is used in the UK for kidney failure so my
          heart/kidney cats get the 5mg a day. You could ask to increase that if the
          heart is starting to fail. CoQ works well with all my cats at 30mg, but
          once started you can't suddenly stop.

        • r schu
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 8, 2013
            not sure why this didn't post but here it is again:

            Thanks Lyn,

            When the cardiologist had us add the extra 3mg lasix eod he had her blood checked in one week to make sure her kidneys were ok.  I'm going to email him for Monday to ask him what we should do to head off more fluid accumulation.  The signs are starting, I'm getting really good at recognizing them.

            Her creatinine is 4.6, bun 79 and she's 21.5 yrs old.  I like that he is cautious.  In your experience, on list etc, do you think 3mg twice a day every day would tip this very delicate balance?

            How does one dose coq10?  I have capsules and would like to put it in May's daily smoothie: fish oil, b12, cosequin (eod), and food.

            Can I mix it with food?  The smoothie is usually given hours apart from her heart meds and anti nausea/acid meds.

            -Lee and May
          • elfinmyst
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 9, 2013
              Hi Lee

              The CoQ is usually in oil so it can be added to a smooothie mix. The only
              worry I would have is it degrades very quickly in light which is why it is
              in a dark capsule. So would need to be given very quickly. If the signs of
              heart failure are showing, then she definitely needs an increase in
              diuretic. 3mg is a very small dose, Trixi at her worst was on 5 mg every 4 hours
              (30mg a day) . I can't say whether 6mg a day would affect her kidneys, but it
              has to be the heart comes first once fluid builds up. Also ask about
              increasing the fortekor as that helps the kidneys too.

              Lyn :)

            • r schu
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 9, 2013
                Lyn,

                I will consult with our cardiologist on what you say. Thank you.

                The coq10 I got is a yellowish powder in capsules and I opened one and put one third immediately in the smoothie. I got vitacost coq10.

                -Lee and May

                > Hi Lee
                >
                > The CoQ is usually in oil so it can be added to a smooothie mix. The only
                > worry I would have is it degrades very quickly in light which is why it is
                > in a dark capsule. So would need to be given very quickly. If the signs of
                > heart failure are showing, then she definitely needs an increase in
                > diuretic. 3mg is a very small dose, Trixi at her worst was on 5 mg every 4 hours
                > (30mg a day) . I can't say whether 6mg a day would affect her kidneys, but it
                > has to be the heart comes first once fluid builds up. Also ask about
                > increasing the fortekor as that helps the kidneys too.
                >
                > Lyn :)

              • ushoover
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 5, 2013

                  hi, I have a quick question, I was asked recently if there is any benefit to giving a cat coq10 if kitty does not have heart disease? thanks for any advice on this subject, Dianne

                • Leigh Arrathoon
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 5, 2013
                    I give it to my DSH, who does not have heart disease because her heart was always very fast. Giving her Super Ubiquinol with mitochondrial support has slowed it down to a nice strong, steady beat, so I am sure I am prolonging her life. Leigh

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 6, 2013

                      ok, thanks, Dianne