Our Maine Coon---Comet (3/20/2002-10/30/2007)

  • Jill Balkus
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2007
      I thought I'd share the story of our special friend, Comet, who we had
      to put to sleep yesterday. He was only 5-years-old.

      Up until 3-weeks ago, I didn't know about HCM / Congestive Heart
      Failure in Maine Coons. We got Comet from a friend-of-a-friend, not a
      breeder. He was a freebie! In fact I knew nothing about the Maine Coon
      breed until two-years ago when I saw a picture of a Maine Coon that
      looked just like our Comet.

      Our happy, little guy (he might have only been part Maine Coon because
      he wasn't that large of a cat) enjoyed going outside, jumping out to
      (playfully) attack our Lhasa-Apso dog, sitting on laps, purring, and
      most importantly, laying upside down. I think he spent more time
      upside down than right side up.

      Then 3-weeks ago, he started to have labored breathing, and he spent a
      lot of time crouching down on his front paws. We took him to the vet,
      who did an EKG, chest x-ray, and bloodwork. His x-ray showed a large
      blockage in the right lung. Then we went to a cardiologist who did an
      ultrasound and confirmed he was in congestive heart failure and the
      blockage was fluid that had built up. They drained the fluid and he
      spent the night in an oxygen cage to help his breathing. He was
      prescribed furosemide (lasix), vetmedin, and enalapril. Plus, 1/4 baby
      aspirin every three days.

      The funny thing about his heart was that it was the right side (not
      the usual left) that was 5 times larger than normal. The left side had
      slight thickening of the walls.

      When he came home the next day, he just wasn't the same kitty. He
      spent most of his time in the closet, wouldn't play, was super thirsty
      (from the lasix), and overall lethargic. He stopped sleeping with us,
      getting on our laps, and laying upside down. He wouldn't eat his dry
      food anymore, so we switched to canned food / baby food. It was hard
      for him to eat anything too large, so I mostly fed him the gravy from
      the canned food.

      We had a follow-up appointment with the cardiologist on 10/25/07 and
      they said the fluid was back. She gave us the choice whether to have
      his lungs tapped again. We decided not to, since we didn't want to
      stress him anymore. The labored breathing had returned (it has
      subsided for a week or so after the first lung drain). The
      cardiologist doubled his lasix dosage as a last ditch effort to help.

      This past Saturday he stopped eating and the vet prescribed
      Cyproheptadine to help his appetite and, perhaps, increase his energy
      level slightly. It didn't help, so my husband and I decided to put him
      to sleep.

      I miss my little-guy, my Mr. Comet, my upside down kitty, but I know
      he's in a place of peace filled with large paper bags, couches to
      scratch, birds to chase, and lots of sunshine.

      Since I'm a web designer, I'm going to create a website tribute to
      him. I'll post back when I have it up. I've enjoyed reading the
      message boards, especially the positive stories. Although this story
      had an unhappy ending, perhaps it can help in some way.
    • jamander33
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2007
        I am so sorry for you and Comet. It is so hard and seems so unfair.
        I, as well as all of the people here, know the pain and heartache
        you felt and are feeling. I agree that he is now at peace and in a
        wonderful place - free from pain. Thank you for sharing and I would
        love to see your website tribute to your baby when you have it
        complete. I will be watching for it. Amanda

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2007
          Thankyou for sharing Comet's story. I`m sure there is a lot of sunshine,
          scratchers and cat nip at the rainbow bridge. I like to think of all our kitties
          there together sharing some sort of bond as the owners on this site do. I'm
          sorry to hear of Comet's passing and my thoughts and prayers are with you
          today.

          Lyn

          www.furkids-uk.com