Rasputin....how much

  • Annette
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2007
      G'day my 17 yr old darling has had yet another chest tap this time 3 weeks
      apart and an increase of 50mls (400mls off)
      He is on 1/4 lasix in the morning and 1/4 spiro in the evening, along with
      rulide and Co enzyme. He also has 50mls of hartmanns daily sub cut for renal
      failure.
      He is also on Forketor and daily delta cortef

      Should he have his diuretics increased. My Vet is not terribly supportive
      about the SC fluids and extremely reluctant to prescribe much less increase
      diuretics. Will be bringing Rassie home this morning.
      I know the time is getting0-p Cheers Annette Rasputin and Pfeiffer in Sth Oz

    • Sharyl Cline
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2007
        Annette, that is a real low dose of lasix. My Albert was on 6.35 mg in the AM and 9.375 mg in the PM. And that is a low dose. I think the max dose is 60 mg/day. Not sure on the spiro so don't know on dosing there.
        Sharyl

      • Leah Ferron
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 8, 2007
          Annette,

          Rassie is on as low a dose besides nothing that I have seen. I would try giving the lasix amount in the am and pm and keeping the spiro as prescribed. If this is not enough, then add 1/4 pill in the am to equal 1/2 pill. If that doesn't work enough than add another 1/4 pill to the pm too. Keep trying small increments like this until you find the right amount. At Angel Alec's worst, I was giving 1 pill (12.5mg) 3x/day. He had early CRF too. The lasix amount depends on the siz of the kitty - Alec was about 7lbs. There are kitties that get even more than Angel Alec's amount.

          Your vet should be having you increase the lasix. I know you had trouble with this vet listening before. You can do the lasix increase on your own and then tell her what you did. Sometimes it easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. You will learn when Rassie is getting too much lasix and is not getting enough hydration.

          Leah and her cats and Angel Alec