Re: Benzapril versus Enalapril

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2007
      Hi,

      Azodyl is a good supplement to give, but it's not a phosphorus
      binder. Epakitin is the phosphorus binder made by Vetoquinol, the
      manufacturers of Azodyl. Epakitin is a calcium based phosphorus
      binder, so cats with high calcium shouldn't take it. But anyway,
      Azodyl is a strain of beneficial bacteria that work in the gut to
      help flush out the urea nitrogen out of the body through the bowel
      and slow down the uremic toxin buildup in the blood, thereby slowing
      down the progression of the crf. Here's a link to the Azodyl page.
      http://www.vetoquinolusa.com/pages/global_06.html

      We use it on our crf kitties, Misty and Snowball. Misty's BUN and
      Creatinine have actually gone down, and although Snowball's hasn't,
      at least it's not worse after a year and a half since her diagnosis.

      If Bearhug's phosphorus is normal right now, I'd probably wait on
      giving him a phos binder.

      I looked up Benazepril and Enalapril and found this info about
      interactions and side effects.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benazepril
      http://www.newstarget.com/DrugWatch_Benazepril.html
      http://www.newstarget.com/DrugWatch_Enalapril.html

      I didn't find much of Benazepril helping with increasing appetite,
      but I did find this site that talks about how it decreases appetite
      too, just like you said the Enalapril does.
      http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/benazepril-fortekor/page1.aspx
      This is from the PetPlace website, where it talks about the side
      effects. I'm especially concerned about the interaction it talks
      about with Benazepril and diuretics.

      Precautions and Side Effects

      While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a
      veterinarian, benazepril can cause side effects in some animals.

      Benazepril should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity
      or allergy to the drug.

      Benazepril may relax blood vessels to such a degree that some
      animals become weak due to low blood pressure.

      Less commonly, benazepril may affect the blood supply to the kidneys
      leading to kidney failure. This is most common in dogs and cats
      treated with higher doses of the drug. It is also more common in
      animals with kidney disease and when diuretic drugs (such as
      furosemide) are administered.

      At normal doses in cats with renal failure, there may be an initial
      rise in creatinine which should be monitored. There can also be
      reduced erythrocyte counts and monitoring of erythrocytes is also
      recommended.

      Benazepril may interact with other medications. Consult with your
      veterinarian to determine if other drugs your pet is receiving could
      interact with benazepril. Such drugs include furosemide,
      spironolactone, other vasodilators and certain non-steroidal anti-
      inflammatories.

      Side effects include changes in urination, decreased appetite,
      vomiting, sudden lethargy or weakness. These symptoms should be
      reported to your veterinarian.

      Side effects are more likely when benazepril is administered with
      other potent drugs, such as diuretics or vasodilators.

      If a pet collapses while receiving benazepril, contact your
      veterinarian immediately.

      I also found this site that has a lot of info about heart disease in
      dogs and cats http://www.2ndchance.info/heart.htm ...and this
      paragraph has info about using the Benazepril with arthritis
      medication, that the arthritis medication renders the Benazepril not
      as effective. You might want to talk to your vet about that, since
      Bearhug is taking Cosaquin.

      We treat CHF with vasodilator drugs that increase the diameter of
      blood vessels. Most of the medicines of this class that are in use
      today are also called ACE inhibitors. The most common one is
      enalapril . I prefer it to Lisinopril. ACE inhibitors medicine
      decreases heart rate and decreases cough and pulmonary edema. The
      most common side effect is lack of appetite and vomiting. Other
      vasodilators used include captopril and benazepril and hydralazine.
      This class of drugs may not be as effective when non-steroidal-
      anitinflamatory agents are also give to control arthritic pain.

      Boy, this is a lot of info, eh? I wasn't sure what to pick out,
      what was most important, so I just decided to post it all. I figure
      it's good to know anyway.

      take care,
      Carol & Angel Chris 9/6/07
      Puddy Boo Punkie MeanMama Misty Snowball and Chelsea
      (Angels Fritzy'02, Sweetie'03, Ducky'05, Bouncer'06 & Muffy'06)

      "I know you're there...a breath away's not far to where you are."