pimobendan

  • hipjill2@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2007
      Has anyone used this medication on their cats? And if so what were
      their experiences or results?
    • MarisaKatnic@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2007
        Hello,

        I don't know your name but I do use Pimobendan on my cat, Oliver, and it has
        worked wonderfully. It was just approved in the United States and is
        primarily used in dogs and is known as the "miracle" drug for dogs. I am pleased
        with the results we are getting.

        Marisa and Oliver

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2007
          Thank you for replying Marisa. My name is Jill and my cats name is
          Oscar. He is 8 years old. Oscar has hypertrophic cardiomyopothy with
          pleural infusion. He is diabetic and has asthma. I just read about
          pimobendan today and I plan on asking my vet about it, Does Oliver take
          other meds as well? Oscar takes enalapril, spironolactone, PZI
          insulin, flovent and Co Enzyme Q10.
        • elfinmyst@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 4, 2007
            None of my heart patients are taking pimobendan, but Milli is to have it if
            her disease progresses. There have been good results in dogs and humans.

            Lyn

            www.furkids-uk.com

          • Renee Babcock
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 4, 2007
              Hi Marisa, this is good to know. My cardiologist just
              added Pimodendan to Kitsu's therapy this week. So
              far, he's on half a tablet once a day, and he's only
              taken 2.

              How long was it before you saw results with Oliver?

              Renee

              --- MarisaKatnic@... wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I don't know your name but I do use Pimobendan on
              > my cat, Oliver, and it has
              > worked wonderfully. It was just approved in the
              > United States and is
              > primarily used in dogs and is known as the
              > "miracle" drug for dogs. I am pleased
              > with the results we are getting.
              >
              > Marisa and Oliver

              http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/3658
            • sunlightjs1
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 4, 2007
                Hi Jill. My name is Jill too. Our sweet Puddy was diagnosed with
                severe HCM and CHF in May of 2003. He started taking Pimobendan in
                January of 2005 when his condition was deteriorating and he was not
                able to enjoy his life as he had before. At that time the vet had
                given him only a few months to live. She explained that there was a
                small possibility that it could shorten his life and that it is a
                personal choice as to whether we were willing to take that risk to
                improve the quality of the time he had left. In our case we decided
                it was worth the risk.

                Within a couple of days after starting the medicine he was so much
                happier and had so much more energy. At the next checkup the vet
                said that his signs had improved so much that she could not even
                give an estimate as to how long he might have left.

                In addition to Pimobendan he was on Enalapril, Lasix, Atenolol and
                aspirin along with DMG and various homeopathic remedies and vitamin
                supplements.

                Like Oscar he had significant pleural effusion which developed in
                January of 2006. He lived until July of 2006 with a good quality of
                life.

                I have no way of knowing if the Pimobendan lengthened his life but
                it certainly did improve the quality.

                Best of luck with Oscar!

                Jill

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 4, 2007
                  Hi Jill,

                  Yes, Oliver does take other med's as well. His current medications consist
                  of Furosemide (Lasix) 40 mg. 3 times daily; Tumil-K 4 meq. 2 times daily;
                  Pimobendan 2.5 mg. 2 times daily; Spironolactone 2.5 mg. (1/4 tablet 2 times
                  daily) and Enalapril 3.75 mg. once daily. Supplements by Standard Process®:
                  Feline Cardiac Support™ and Feline Whole Body Support™ one tablet of each twice
                  daily. He is a very big cat, a hyrid and thus why his Lasix dosage is so
                  high.

                  Marisa

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 4, 2007
                    Hi Renee ~

                    Oliver started taking Pimobendan mid-July. I saw improvement within days
                    from it even though the cardiologist told me I can experience sudden death by
                    it. I have a double edge sword, that is, if I don't use Pimo I am sure to
                    lose Oliver due to the extreme condition his heart is undergoing (mitral valve
                    dysplasia; tricuspid valve dysplasia; and resolving/static left and right
                    congestive heart failure) and if I do use Pimo, I have to stand by and
                    understand what can take place. I am happy (and so is Oliver) with what has taken
                    place by it. We all want long happy lives for our fur babies and most
                    importantly, on their terms.

                    Marisa and Oliver

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 5, 2007
                      Hi Diane. I am happy for Kerrigan that he is doing great despite all of
                      those medical issues!! I am happy to hear he has made it 7 years since
                      all of that started!! That is like Oscar you can't tell him he is ill!
                      All of these posts give
                      me a wonderful sense of hope! Thank you!!

                      Jill and Oscar!