Re:attn Mods, and other members...Idea

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2007
      I would be able to make a simple chat room on AOL for the group if one was
      required. I have used similar before for cat chats from other groups. It would
      be unmoderated and members would join and could enter it at any time to chat.

      Lyn :)

      www.furkids-uk.com

    • Renee Babcock
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2007
        Hi all, yesterday afternoon Kitsu (CHF, DCM) had
        another ultrasound. The results weren’t as good as I
        would have liked, but there has been some improvement.
        His heart chambers are still quite dilated and he
        does have a very slight murmur. His heart rate was
        very fast, but even with kitty valium, he was really
        anxious, so that could certainly account for that. He
        also had about 20 mls of fluid in his chest (he had 2
        chest taps a couple of weeks ago, about 12 days
        apart).

        However, his lung sounds were normal. The
        contractility of the ventricles has also improved, but
        still below normal. Last week, after getting the
        digoxin level test, his dose was increased, so I
        expect that to continue to improve (I got the digoxin
        compounded into capsules, and that's so much better!).

        Dr. Jones did change his meds a little. She added a
        new medication – Pimobendan, to his treatment plan (to
        strengthen contracitility and it's also a vasodilator)
        - as a result, his enalapril has been cut to 1/4 pill
        per day. And she did have me discontinue the
        nitroglyercin.

        So, Kitsu is now getting 9 pills a day – 5 in the
        morning, 4 in the evening (he's on lasix 1/2 12.5 tab
        2x daily, although every other day he gets an
        injection in the PM, digoxin 2x daily, enalapril,
        rutin 2 times daily, the pimo, plus azithromycin for
        bartonella).

        Oh, BTW, we have discovered Pill Pockets! These are
        the greatest invention EVER! I may be the last person
        on the planet to have discovered them, and none too
        soon! Some of his pills are too big, so I just kind of
        squish the PP around the capsules – Kitsu doesn’t
        care. He thinks these are the best thing ever! He
        gobbles them right up, and couldn’t care less that
        he’s been medicated. The past few days have been a
        joy!

        Oh, and I have to say it again: I love Dr. Jones and
        her staff (I'm in Austin). They are so loving and
        gentle with their patients (Dr. Jones and Denise, the
        tech who helped yesterday were both giving Kitsu lots
        of smooches and cuddles). I’m sure it’s partly
        because the patients they see are so ill, but heck,
        they obviously love their patients, too!

        Kitsu will be going back to see Dr. Jones in 2 weeks
        for another ultrasound (the day before I fly out to
        Baltimore for a business trip). I hope that with
        these most recent changes in his medications, and the
        much easier method for delivery of his meds, this next
        checkup will be even better.

        BTW, Kitsu was playful this morning – I haven’t seen
        that in a while! He found a straw and wanted to have a
        go at it, so that was nice to see. Then he laid on
        his side (I know that’s a positive sign, because he
        couldn’t do that before with all the fluids in his
        chest) and demanded I pet him. So, I obliged.

        I'm curious, is there anyone on this list also dealing
        with DCM, and if so, what have your experiences been
        like?

        Renee

        http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
      • Leah Ferron
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2007
          Renee,

          It sounds like a good visit to the cardio! Although you may feel the visit wasn't as you hoped for, we haved learned in this group that a visit that doesn't show a progression of the disease and actual improvement to be an awesome visit! I am glad to hear that the meds are working for him.

          There have been several people in the group that have used the pimobendan so hopefully others that used it will chime in on it. There have been good results in dogs with DCM and pimobendan but not much research has been done on kitties with it.

          There is more than one flavor of Pill Pockets so you may find you need to change flavors after a while. Some kitties get tired on using the same treats. Just FYI. But glad to hear that they are working for you. I have a few of my kitties that like the Pill Pockets too.

          Keep up the good work.

          Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

        • Renee Babcock
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2007
            Leah, thanks for the perspective. I know I need to be
            more patient, but it's so hard, when all I want is for
            Kitsu to be well. I'm hoping that with the fine
            tuning of his meds, the next ultrasound will be even
            better (it would help me feel better about having to
            go out of town for a week, that's for sure!).

            Dr. Jones did tell me Pimobendan had been approved for
            dogs, but she doesn't think it'll ever be approved for
            cats, because she says the market is so small. But
            she's had really good success with the cats she's
            treating, so I remain hopeful.

            Oh and the Pill Pockets - Kitsu loves both the chicken
            and salmon flavors! Just about nibbled my fingers off
            this morning trying to take them from my hand!

            Renee

            http://farechase.yahoo.com/