attn Mods, and other members...Idea

  • Vickie
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
      What do you guy think abt creating a real time chat room, for our
      group.

      There are time, I know when I was new, and when Baby was in and out
      of the ER it would of been nice to have someone to chat w/in real
      time, without waiting for reply.

      I don't know to many web sites, but I know the link below, will let
      us creat a chat room for this group. you can name it feline-heart
      yahoo grp room, something like that.

      If you also agree, include in the welcome email.

      Maybe ppl, can put in there post that they will be in the chat room
      during certain hours.

      http://xat.com

      I hope this link works.

      Vickie and Baby
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2007
        I would be able to make a simple chat room on AOL for the group if one was
        required. I have used similar before for cat chats from other groups. It would
        be unmoderated and members would join and could enter it at any time to chat.

        Lyn :)

        www.furkids-uk.com

      • Renee Babcock
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2007
          Hi all, yesterday afternoon Kitsu (CHF, DCM) had
          another ultrasound. The results weren’t as good as I
          would have liked, but there has been some improvement.
          His heart chambers are still quite dilated and he
          does have a very slight murmur. His heart rate was
          very fast, but even with kitty valium, he was really
          anxious, so that could certainly account for that. He
          also had about 20 mls of fluid in his chest (he had 2
          chest taps a couple of weeks ago, about 12 days
          apart).

          However, his lung sounds were normal. The
          contractility of the ventricles has also improved, but
          still below normal. Last week, after getting the
          digoxin level test, his dose was increased, so I
          expect that to continue to improve (I got the digoxin
          compounded into capsules, and that's so much better!).

          Dr. Jones did change his meds a little. She added a
          new medication – Pimobendan, to his treatment plan (to
          strengthen contracitility and it's also a vasodilator)
          - as a result, his enalapril has been cut to 1/4 pill
          per day. And she did have me discontinue the
          nitroglyercin.

          So, Kitsu is now getting 9 pills a day – 5 in the
          morning, 4 in the evening (he's on lasix 1/2 12.5 tab
          2x daily, although every other day he gets an
          injection in the PM, digoxin 2x daily, enalapril,
          rutin 2 times daily, the pimo, plus azithromycin for
          bartonella).

          Oh, BTW, we have discovered Pill Pockets! These are
          the greatest invention EVER! I may be the last person
          on the planet to have discovered them, and none too
          soon! Some of his pills are too big, so I just kind of
          squish the PP around the capsules – Kitsu doesn’t
          care. He thinks these are the best thing ever! He
          gobbles them right up, and couldn’t care less that
          he’s been medicated. The past few days have been a
          joy!

          Oh, and I have to say it again: I love Dr. Jones and
          her staff (I'm in Austin). They are so loving and
          gentle with their patients (Dr. Jones and Denise, the
          tech who helped yesterday were both giving Kitsu lots
          of smooches and cuddles). I’m sure it’s partly
          because the patients they see are so ill, but heck,
          they obviously love their patients, too!

          Kitsu will be going back to see Dr. Jones in 2 weeks
          for another ultrasound (the day before I fly out to
          Baltimore for a business trip). I hope that with
          these most recent changes in his medications, and the
          much easier method for delivery of his meds, this next
          checkup will be even better.

          BTW, Kitsu was playful this morning – I haven’t seen
          that in a while! He found a straw and wanted to have a
          go at it, so that was nice to see. Then he laid on
          his side (I know that’s a positive sign, because he
          couldn’t do that before with all the fluids in his
          chest) and demanded I pet him. So, I obliged.

          I'm curious, is there anyone on this list also dealing
          with DCM, and if so, what have your experiences been
          like?

          Renee

          http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
        • Leah Ferron
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2007
            Renee,

            It sounds like a good visit to the cardio! Although you may feel the visit wasn't as you hoped for, we haved learned in this group that a visit that doesn't show a progression of the disease and actual improvement to be an awesome visit! I am glad to hear that the meds are working for him.

            There have been several people in the group that have used the pimobendan so hopefully others that used it will chime in on it. There have been good results in dogs with DCM and pimobendan but not much research has been done on kitties with it.

            There is more than one flavor of Pill Pockets so you may find you need to change flavors after a while. Some kitties get tired on using the same treats. Just FYI. But glad to hear that they are working for you. I have a few of my kitties that like the Pill Pockets too.

            Keep up the good work.

            Leah and her cats and Angel Alec

          • Renee Babcock
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4, 2007
              Leah, thanks for the perspective. I know I need to be
              more patient, but it's so hard, when all I want is for
              Kitsu to be well. I'm hoping that with the fine
              tuning of his meds, the next ultrasound will be even
              better (it would help me feel better about having to
              go out of town for a week, that's for sure!).

              Dr. Jones did tell me Pimobendan had been approved for
              dogs, but she doesn't think it'll ever be approved for
              cats, because she says the market is so small. But
              she's had really good success with the cats she's
              treating, so I remain hopeful.

              Oh and the Pill Pockets - Kitsu loves both the chicken
              and salmon flavors! Just about nibbled my fingers off
              this morning trying to take them from my hand!

              Renee

              http://farechase.yahoo.com/