Re: [FH] New member, cat just diagnosed

  • MarisaKatnic@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
      Hi Elizabeth ~

      My cat, Oliver, has two valve dysplasias (severe mitral and mild tricuspid)
      and was diagnosed June 27, 2007, when he showed beginning signs of illness.
      We beleive he was born with this condition. He turned three years old on
      July 21.
      With his medications and natural supplements we are striving for a longer
      life than what the cardiologist beleives. Currently, he is thriving but knows
      his limitations.

      As far as the natural supplements I give him together with his medications I
      would recommend Standard Process. They have a cardiac formula and it is all
      natural. Here is the link to peruse:
      _http://www.standardprocess.com/display/VeterinaryCatalog.spi?ID=346_
      (http://www.standardprocess.com/display/VeterinaryCatalog.spi?ID=346) and it is sold through veterinarians only.

      Best wishes to you and Julian.

      Marisa and Oliver

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
        Oh yes... I forgot about the Standard Process supplements. We gave
        those to Sweetie too. I use many of their formulas.

        I buy mine online at http://www.spinelife.com and they're a bit
        cheaper from Spinelife than from the vet.

        Carol & Angel Chris 9/6/07
        Puddy Boo Punkie MeanMama Misty Snowball & Chelsea
        (Angels Fritzy '02, Sweetie '03, Ducky '05, Bouncer '06 & Muffy '06)

        "I know you're there...a breath away's not far to where you are."

        As far as the natural supplements I give him together with his
        medications I would recommend Standard Process. They have a
        cardiac formula and it is all natural. Here is the link to
        peruse:
        http://www.standardprocess.com/display/VeterinaryCatalog.spi?ID=346_
        http://www.standardprocess.com/display/VeterinaryCatalog.spi?
        ID=346) and it is sold through veterinarians only.

      • Sharyl Cline
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2007
          Elizabeth, can you take Julian to a cardiologist or an IM vet for an echo? That is needed to dx his heart condition and develop a treatment plan. I also question why he is on lasix if there is no fluid build up.

          Here are a couple of links on the nutritional content of canned food.
          http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm
          http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html

          Yes there are supplements you can give to help strengthen the heart but first you need to know exactly what the problem is.
          Sharyl Pequita and Angel Albert

        • locolizard
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 13, 2010
            I haven't posted on the group since this first post back in 2007, but I wanted to say that we lost Julian in February. The vet had always told us to look out for coughing, lethargy etc. but there were no signs. We were just laying in bed Valentines morning and heard him running and playing. About ten minutes later we got up, and our baby was gone. The only peace is in knowing that it seems he did not suffer, that it was very sudden. Of course, now I'm wondering if we could have done more. The vet said he would only live 5 to 7 years, but he was only 3 years, 9 months. It was such a shock, and we miss him terribly. He came to us as a kitten, just popped out of the woods one day. Maybe he came because he would have a short life, and at least we were able to give him a good one. He was a very happy, loving cat! I wish we knew exactly what happened, but I did not like the idea of an autopsy. The vet believes that his heart just finally gave out.

            As hard as it is to part with anything tied to Julian, I do have some leftover Lasix that I'd be happy to give to someone who can use it. It's the generic version through 1-800-Pet-Meds, Salix furosemide, 12.5 mg. Expiration date is 10/19/10. There are 16 pills left, 4 of which I have cut in half (Julian's dosage was half a pill).

            Best of luck to all of you. These are very special kitties, and I'm glad there are others like us who want to give them the best care and make their time here as happy as possible.

            Elizabeth