Re: [FH] Dakota diarrhea

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hi Dody,

      In a message dated 10/1/07 8:28:53 PM, dodesrottie@... writes:

      > Dakota is having a problem with diarrhea. Is this
      > a common problem with heart kitties?

      It's a not uncommon problem with cats who eat a species-inappropriate
      diet...and some medications can also cause diarrhea.

      > I seem to remember someone saying
      > that slippery elm bark would help?

      Might be helpful in managing the symptoms...b/c it contains soluble fiber
      that can normalize water balance. But it's important to look at the cause of the
      diarrhea and try to work on that. Could be diet, pathogen, parasites,
      medications, etc.

      > Please let me know how much or if
      > this is even the right thing to try and give him.

      Typical dose is about 50-100mg up to 4x/day as needed (but start with one
      dose). Can't say if it's right for Dakota, b/c I don't know what's causing the
      problem. But slippery elm is one option. // Rosemary