Re: [FH] New member, cat just diagnosed

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hi Elizabeth,

      In a message dated 10/1/07 8:01:45 PM, locolizard@... writes:

      > I just joined the group today.

      Welcome to the group.

      > Has anyone out there tried any of the homeopathic
      > treatments available?

      Yes, we have. We used not only homeopathy, but also Traditional Chinese
      medicine, nutrients, NAET, Jaffe-Mellor, and other complementary treatments...along
      with species-appropriate nutrition (which is the most important of all).

      >   I have a lot of faith in herbal medicine
      > versus conventional and am wondering if I should be pursuing some of
      > these options instead of the standard medication.

      I think (my opinion only) that health care is most effective when it is truly
      integrated...using the best of what each discipline has to offer for the
      benefit of the individual. With heart cats, synthetic medications are often
      necessary...but complementary options, esp nutrients, can provide solid support.
      Plant remedies can be sometimes useful with, say, aiding diuresis or managing
      nausea from medications...and homeopathy and other techniques can help balance
      the whole body.

      > What food do you feed him

      With our cat who had heart problems, we fed Wellness canned and homemade
      fresh food.

      > , we currently buy Iams Indoor
      > formula and wonder how the sodium content compares to other foods.

      Do you mean the Indoor weight and hairball dry food? I'm sorry to say this,
      but the sodium content is the least of your worries.

      These are the primary ingredients: Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Grits, Corn
      Meal, Dried Beet Pulp (Sugar Removed), Powdered Cellulose, Ground Whole Grain
      Sorghum, Chicken, Dried Egg Product, Natural Chicken Flavor, Chicken Fat. The
      only source of quality nutrition in this product is at at ingredient
      #7...after cellulose (an insoluble fiber that makes cats poop, basically), so you can
      be sure there is not much of it. The main "nutrition" comes from byproducts,
      which are largely indigestible and therefore unavailable, plus corn and plant
      fiber (which is used for "weight control" by pushing the few available
      nutrients thru the dig. system before they can provide any calories and by pushing
      thru the hair). Further, it's very high in carbohydrate...at 40% of calories.
      Cats need zero calories from carbohydrate...and a high carbohydrate level is a
      direct contributing factor to obesity and diabetes in cats. The low moisture
      level (10%....cats need 60-80%) and high proportion of species-inappropriate
      grain ingredients are a factor in urinary health and dig. health. And with a cat
      who has heart problems already, you don't want to invite any other issues.

      From what I can determine on the KatKarma charts (
      http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/dryfood.htm), this product has about 0.36% sodium dry matter, which
      is not outrageous. What's important for cats is balance of nutrients and
      source of nutrients...and our conventional focus (for humans and animals) on
      manipulating a single nutrient at the expense of overall nutrition is not sound.
      Cats do need sodium...and the high carbohydrate content is going to cause more
      bloating and water retention than sodium would.

      It might be in the cat's best interest to consider feeding a high-quality,
      well-balanced, low-carbohydrate, moisture-rich, meat-based canned or fresh food
      diet. Some canned brands that do a reasonable job meeting a cat's nutritional
      needs incl: Wellness, www.oldmotherhubbard.com; Nature's Variety,
      www.naturesvariety.com; By Nature Organics, www.bynaturepetfoods.com; PetGuard,
      www.petguard.com; Felidae, www.canidae.com; and Eagle Pack, www.eaglepack.com.

      Traits to look for in quality cat food incl:

      1. muscle meat from a named species (as opposed to "byproducts," "poultry,"
      or "meal") as the first ingredient;
      2. organ meat from a named species (as opposed to "liver" or "poultry liver")
      somewhere in the second to fifth ingredient positions, preferably from the
      same species as the muscle meat;
      3. muscle and/or organ meats in at least three of the first five ingredient
      positions;
      4. limited to no fish;
      5. limited to no carbohydrate sources, preferably from low-glycemic
      vegetables, such as squash, or whole, hypoallergenic grains, such as oats and barley
      (as opposed to corn, wheat, and grain fractions, such as "rice bran");
      6. no plant-protein "boosters" (such as "soy protein isolate" or "corn gluten
      meal")
      7. no nonnutritive fillers (such as "powdered cellulose" and "grain sorghum")
      8. no synthetic preservatives (such as BHT, BHA, and ethoxyquin), colorings
      (such as Red Dye #40 and titanium dioxide), or flavorings.

      Some articles on feline nutrition incl:

      1. http://home.earthlink.net/~jacm2/id1.html
      2. www.catinfo.org
      3. www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm