Re: [FH] Sylvester back in hospital - not good news

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
      Jess,

      Originally, I mixed her lasix in her food but then she decided that she
      wouldn't eat food with medicine in it. After that, I made all her medicines
      into liquid form and gave them with an oral syringe. I could never give her
      pills but she was wonderful with the oral syringe.

      She got three 20mg lasix daily. They come in different strengths so I'm not
      sure what Sylvester is getting. The maximum recommended dose is correlated
      to the animal's weight. She was around 14 pounds at the time (had been 15+
      in better days). She did not have kidney issues until less than a month
      before she passed. I suspect it's because she just loved water and always
      drank a lot of it so that probably helped to keep her kidneys clear.

      Diuretics are hard on the kidneys and lasix is the hardest, but if the heart
      isn't working, what good are the kidneys? They can manage for quite a while
      with kidney disease. I had another cat with kidney disease who lived for
      about 3 years after being diagnosed.

      I had her meds compounded into a liquid at the pharmacy. They charge extra
      for that and I found that I was paying $30 for a one-month supply of
      medicine that cost about $4 for the pills alone. That's when I decided to
      do that part myself. The only way to effectively do it is one dose at a
      time since we don't have the products and facilities that a pharmacist has.
      Without a suspension agent, I found that most of the pill stuck to the side
      of the bottle and that meant it wasn't getting into Pepper.

      I would take a 1cc oral syringe and remove the plunger. Cut the pill just
      small enough to fit into the barrel of the syringe and put it in. Replace
      the plunger carefully so none of the pill comes out the tip. Next, draw up
      whatever liquid you are using. I just used about 0.5cc of water. Let it
      set for about 15 minutes or so until the pill has dissolved. Now you can
      give the medicine. After giving it, you may want to draw up a little extra
      water and squirt that in just in case there's a bit of medicine left in the
      syringe.

      My only caution is to be sure that your pills are water-soluable.
      Spiro-hctz should NOT be mixed with water as it has a chemical reaction that
      creates formaldehyde - which is poisonous. Plain spiro WITHOUT hctz is ok
      to mix with water as are enalapril, atenolol, lasix and furosemide.

      Sue & angel Pepper