Re: [FH] Sylvester back in hospital - not good news

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
      Jess,

      When Pepper needed more than spiro & lasix, they gave her spiro-hctz. It
      did the trick & bought her another six months. She was about 14 pounds by
      then and was getting 60mg lasix (20mg TID) and 6.25mg spiro-hctz.

      Sue & angel Pepper

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hi Sue,
        How did you give her the meds? so how many lasix a
        day was she taking? did she have kidney issues?
        i think he said something about increase dose but
        kidneys aren't good. they're not terrible.

        http://sims.yahoo.com/
      • Sue at MAGDRL
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
          Jess,

          Originally, I mixed her lasix in her food but then she decided that she
          wouldn't eat food with medicine in it. After that, I made all her medicines
          into liquid form and gave them with an oral syringe. I could never give her
          pills but she was wonderful with the oral syringe.

          She got three 20mg lasix daily. They come in different strengths so I'm not
          sure what Sylvester is getting. The maximum recommended dose is correlated
          to the animal's weight. She was around 14 pounds at the time (had been 15+
          in better days). She did not have kidney issues until less than a month
          before she passed. I suspect it's because she just loved water and always
          drank a lot of it so that probably helped to keep her kidneys clear.

          Diuretics are hard on the kidneys and lasix is the hardest, but if the heart
          isn't working, what good are the kidneys? They can manage for quite a while
          with kidney disease. I had another cat with kidney disease who lived for
          about 3 years after being diagnosed.

          I had her meds compounded into a liquid at the pharmacy. They charge extra
          for that and I found that I was paying $30 for a one-month supply of
          medicine that cost about $4 for the pills alone. That's when I decided to
          do that part myself. The only way to effectively do it is one dose at a
          time since we don't have the products and facilities that a pharmacist has.
          Without a suspension agent, I found that most of the pill stuck to the side
          of the bottle and that meant it wasn't getting into Pepper.

          I would take a 1cc oral syringe and remove the plunger. Cut the pill just
          small enough to fit into the barrel of the syringe and put it in. Replace
          the plunger carefully so none of the pill comes out the tip. Next, draw up
          whatever liquid you are using. I just used about 0.5cc of water. Let it
          set for about 15 minutes or so until the pill has dissolved. Now you can
          give the medicine. After giving it, you may want to draw up a little extra
          water and squirt that in just in case there's a bit of medicine left in the
          syringe.

          My only caution is to be sure that your pills are water-soluable.
          Spiro-hctz should NOT be mixed with water as it has a chemical reaction that
          creates formaldehyde - which is poisonous. Plain spiro WITHOUT hctz is ok
          to mix with water as are enalapril, atenolol, lasix and furosemide.

          Sue & angel Pepper