Sylvester back in hospital - not good news

  • sylvestere816
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
      i brought Sylvester back to the hospital after his second chest tap on
      thursday night and he has filled back up with fluids. vet thinks about
      250-300 cc's. he is not responding to the lasix/spiro. he told me
      that it probably will come back quickly again and to be prepared. i
      can't even breathe. he will take out the fluid today and send him home
      this afternoon. but he thinks that i should be prepared to make some
      tough decisions soon. i've read so many people that write that and i
      always thought, how do you write that, but it is so painful, you almost
      have to.
      does anyone know if increasing the lasix more could help? he's
      already on 2 tab per day.
      just wanted to let you know since you all have been so helpful to me
      in this horrible time. thanks.
      jess
    • dalemcp
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
        On the 28th you said the vet decreased the dosage of the lasix/spiro.
        If so, this obviously didn't help so I'd suggest increasing those
        doses. At Ewok's worst time I gave her up to 3 tabs of lasix and 3
        tabs of 1/4 tablets of spiro. I'm not sure what size tabs the lasix
        were so I'll check tonight and let you know. IMHO, increase the doses
        of those pills and see what happens. After the draw Sylvester will
        feel much better. We're still pulling for you.

        Dale A.
      • Carol
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
          Hi Jess,

          I'm thinking about you and Sylvester and sending prayers.

          Talk to your vet about giving him HCTZ (hydrochlorothyazide). It's
          another diuretic that sometimes is used in conjunction with the
          other two.

          Is Sylvester getting other supplements too, like CoQ10, DMG,
          Taurine, L-Carnitine? Reading lately about the d-Ribose, I think it
          probably wouldn't be a bad idea to maybe try that too. Here's the
          info I found last week about it. I still don't know the dose for a
          cat, I'm still looking for anything on that.

          I'm sending healing white light to you and Sylvester. I hope he can
          come through this.

          hugs,
          Carol and Angel Chris 9/6/07
          Puddy Boo Punkie MeanMama Misty Snowball and Chelsea
          (Angels Fritzy '02, Sweetie '03, Ducky '05, Bouncer '06 and
          Muffy '06)

          "I know you're there...a breath away's not far to where you are."

          http://www.raysahelian.com/ribose.html

          http://www.valenlabs.com/
          Click on the upper right corner (Corvalen family of energy
          supplements), then point to Bioenergy Ribose and click on Functional
          Food and Beverage. There's a "frequently asked questions" link,
          click on that, and you'll find a lot of info about d-ribose.

          I found this from a google search, it's a PubMed article.
          http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?
          db=pubmed&uid=14607200&cmd=showdetailview&indexed=google

          if that link doesn't work, I did a tinyurl one:
          http://tinyurl.com/33vapp

          Department of Medicine-Cardiology, University of Bonn, Sigmund-Freud-
          Street 25, D-53105, Bonn, Germany. omran@...
          Patients with chronic coronary heart disease often suffer from
          congestive heart failure (CHF) despite multiple drug therapies. D-
          Ribose has been shown in animal models to improve cardiac energy
          metabolism and function following ischaemia. This was a prospective,
          double blind, randomized, crossover design study, to assess the
          effect of oral D-ribose supplementation on cardiac hemodynamics and
          quality of life in 15 patients with chronic coronary artery disease
          and CHF. The study consisted of two treatment periods of 3 weeks,
          during which either oral D-ribose or placebo was administered
          followed by a 1-week wash out period, and then administration of the
          other supplement. Assessment of myocardial functional parameters by
          echocardiography, quality of life using the SF-36 questionnaire and
          functional capacity using cycle ergometer testing was performed. The
          administration of D-ribose resulted in an enhancement of atrial
          contribution to left ventricular filling (40+/-11 vs. 45+/-9%,
          P=0.02), a smaller left atrial dimension (54+/-20 vs. 47+/-18 ml,
          P=0.02) and a shortened E wave deceleration (235+/-64 vs. 196+/-42,
          P=0.002) by echocardiography. Further, D-ribose also demonstrated a
          significant improvement of the patient's quality of life (417+/-118
          vs. 467+/-128, P< or =0.01). In comparison, placebo did not result
          in any significant echocardiographic changes or in quality of life.
          This feasibility study in patients with coronary artery disease in
          CHF revealed the beneficial effects of D-ribose by improving
          diastolic functional parameters and enhancing quality of life.
        • jessica brandecker
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
            Hi Carol,
            Thank you for the info. He is getting coq10 and i
            just got the vetriscience today in the mail. i will
            ask about the HCTZ. i never heard of the other stuff
            but will look into it. thanks.
            jessica

            http://tv.yahoo.com/
          • Linda Irrgang
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
              You are both in our thoughts and prayers.

              Linda and Pumpkin

              _____

[...]

              http://www.raysahel <http://www.raysahelian.com/ribose.html>
              ian.com/ribose.html

              http://www.valenlab <http://www.valenlabs.com/> s.com/

              http://www.ncbi. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?>
              nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?
              db=pubmed&uid=14607200&cmd=showdetailview&indexed=google

              if that link doesn't work, I did a tinyurl one:
              http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/33vapp> com/33vapp

              Department of Medicine-Cardiology, University of Bonn, Sigmund-Freud-
              Street 25, D-53105, Bonn, Germany. omran@uni-bonn.
              <mailto:omran%40uni-bonn.de> de
[...]

            • moonpye
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
                Dear Jess,

                I will be keeping you and Sylvester in my thoughts and sending prayers..

                Hugs,
                Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar