Re: Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy

  • goldbe50
    Message 1 of 31 , Sep 29 1:00 PM
      I also have a young cat with hypertrophic (obstructive) cardiomyopathy.
      Nessi, age 3 1/2. First signs at 1 1/2 years, heart murmur, increased
      pulse. Went on meds this July. You'd never have known she was ill
      except for the fast heart rate. You still wouldn't know.

      Prognosis: excellent and most of it is up to me. I have to keep an eye
      on her and check her breathing and make sure she is acting like a
      normal healthy cat. I have to decide if she has quality of life.

      So with good medical care and lots of help from you and some good
      feedback from this group your cat should live a good quality of life
      for quite a while. (I regularly thank Nessi for spending her life with
      me.) The key word is quality.

      And yes, trying to get a definition on the Internet can drive you mad.
      I finally looked it up in my Merck Manual, the people one, and the
      description was simple and clear (you can find one online and the
      veterinary manual which is impossible).

      Judith
    • joanne marbut
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 18, 2013
        Sorry, I forgot to add the Wikipedia links to earlier posts:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atenolol

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_blocker