Please Vote For Dr. Kittleson

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2007
      http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/hero_of_the_year/nominees/2007ca\
      \
      t/mark.html
      <http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/hero_of_the_year/nominees/2007c\
      a\t/mark.html>

      Dear List,

      A huge thank you for those of you who have gone to the above site and
      voted for Dr. Mark Kittleson for the Cat Hero of the Year Award.

      Many of you may not have seen my previous post asking you to vote for
      Dr. Kittleson and all of you are on this list because of heart problems
      in our precious kitties. Some of you may not have heard of Dr. Mark
      Kittleson. He is a cardiologist at the University of California at
      Davis. In the early 90's, he was approached by Marcia Munro who had a
      cat by the name of Golden Girl who had been diagnosed with HCM. Of
      course, Marcia lost her beautiful Golden Girl before the study had
      barely started. Marcia attended genetic courses at Yale and researched
      and studied and found out all she could about HCM, genetics and the
      heart. She started looking for a cardiologist who would be interested
      in doing research to find out the cause of HCM in Maine Coon Cats. Dr.
      Kittleson was immediately interested and since the early 90's he has had
      a colony of Maine Coon cats researching HCM because he is a caring
      person. As announced in 2005, he and his team had discovered a gene
      that causes HCM and as a result, a DNA test was developed to see what
      cats would have that gene. There is still so much work to be done and
      so much to be discovered to eliminate HCM from our precious cats. If
      all the genes can be found that cause HCM, then before cats are bred,
      they can be tested and if they are found to have one of the genes that
      cause this disease, they can be kept from breeding thus eliminating
      those cats from producing more cats that carry the genes for HCM.

      This award offers $10,000 to the winner and Dr. Mark Kittleson could use
      that money for his very worth-while research. There are other genes
      that need to be found that cause this heartbreaking disease so that we
      as cat owners will not have to suffer the loss of our wonderful kittys
      as we have been. I have lost four young Maine Coon cats to this
      horrible and cruel disease and my heart has been sorely broken four
      times.

      So please, those of you who have not voted, please go to the above site
      and vote for Dr. Mark Kittleson. If you have more than one email
      address, vote for him from each one. Let's do all we can to help him
      eradicate HCM.

      Thank you all so much,

      Linda