Re: Chris is in a bad way :-( - long

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2007
      hi Stacey,

      I totally agree with you! I told that to Marcia too. She talked to
      her regular vet about it today (she called him after we talked with
      the internist vet), his reaction to her suggestion to have oxygen at
      home was for her to just bring Chris in to the clinic and they'd do it
      there. Neither of us thinks that's a good idea. It'll just stress
      Chris out more to go to the vets office again. I hope we can get it
      started. It's going to take a lot of convincing between her regular
      vet and the internist vet to get one of them to agree.

      Thank you for the info about the prescription too. I think if we go to
      them sounding like we know what we're talking about, they'll
      reconsider and understand that we know how to do this.

      Speaking of that... how exactly does one administer oxygen at home? Do
      you make an oxygen chamber of sorts and have them sit in it, or do you
      use a mask and just hold it to their faces? I made a nebulizer
      chamber for our angel Ducky. We had to nebulize him twice a day with
      CS/DMSO for his chronic respiratory infections, and I took a dog
      carrier and covered all the openings with plastic wrap, covered the
      door, put weather stripping around it to make it as air tight as
      possible, had an entrance and exit hole for flow and would put the end
      of the nebulizer tube in the entrance hole. Ducky laid in the
      nebulizer chamber for an hour twice a day for the whole last year of
      his life. It made a huge difference for him.

      So is that what we'd do with the oxygen? Have him lay in the chamber?

      How long do you give them oxygen and at what strength? Does it get
      administered that way... in strengths?

      Thanks for any more info you can offer. I appreciate it so much.

      hugs,
      Carol, Marcia and Chris, Puddy, Boo, Punkie, MeanMama, Misty, Snowball
      and Chelsea
      (angels Fritzy, Sweetie, Ducky, Bouncer and Muffy)

      "I know you're there...a breath away's not far to where you are."

      -- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, SThoyre <sthoyre@...> wrote:

      I'm really sorry Chris has hit a rough patch... the only thing I feel
      I might be able to help with is the argument for the O2 at home. If
      the vet wants to wait for the meds to work, that is fine, but getting
      an O2 set up for home isn't such an instant thing. It can take a few
      days, somtimes, and why not get that in motion while you are waiting
      for those meds to work?

    • nala nala
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2007
        Dear Carol,

        I was hoping that your absence was because
        Chris had stabilized and was doing well.

        I am sorry that he is having a rough go of
        it.

        My cat's vet would not do O2 therapy at
        home either. I told him I would look into
        it further. My understanding is that
        several people here have puchased
        oxygen generators, a few of them
        thru Ebay. I never did follow up
        on that, but in the end, my cat
        didn't seem to need it.

        You might consider increasing
        the lasix. My cat's
        cardiologist used a max dose
        of lasix as 4 mg/kg 3x/day.
        So a 3 kg cat would have
        a max dose of 36 mg/day
        (3x4x3=36). Of course
        I could divide that up
        any way I wanted. Also,
        injectible lasix has better
        bioavalability than oral
        lasix, so some people switch
        to that. My cat's cardiologist
        suggested subQ injections for my cat,
        at home, but in the end, she didn't need
        them.

        I will keep both of you in my thoughts
        and prayers. Marcia too. I know
        how attached you must have gotten