Bloody diarrhea - food allergies???

  • jamander33
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2007
      Hi everyone, I wanted to give an update on Griffin. I think the last
      post I sent was about his upper resp. infection and possible asthma.
      Well, since then we have joined the feline asthma group at yahoo.
      Griffin went to the vet Thursday and had extensive chest x-rays.
      Thankfully his heart looks fairly normal, lungs look good - no fluid
      or growths. His airways were a little bit resembling that of an
      asthmatic cat. She explained that they should not be visible and she
      can see faint white in his airways, so they showed up on x-ray. He
      is still sneezy and coughs at night a little bit, when he is all
      relaxed and sleeping. So, his vet sent us home with some clavamox
      (she says a broader spectrum antibiotic than the clindamycin that he
      was on), so if there is bacteria in his resp tract, the clavamox
      should clear it. We also tried the scruffing method to administer
      Griffin's flovent, and it worked perfectly. We decided to try
      flovent before giving him another antibiotic. We were so encouraged
      by being able to give the inhaled flovent successfully. However, the
      very next morning we awoke to Griffin having terrible diarrhea. It
      literally looked like peanut butter with the very same consistency.
      He even went some outside his litter box in the opposite corner.
      This happened Sunday am. So, we fed him a little sparingly yesterday
      (his hypo-allergenic diet). We awoke this am to diarrhea again and
      this time with a small amount of blood and mucus at the end. What in
      the world??????????? We cannot figure it out. I called the
      pharmacist and she said she had never heard of flovent causing
      anything like that. She did say that it does list it as a rare side
      effect - diarrhea. We did not give him anymore and he had diarrhea
      again this am and is clearly not feeling well today. He is eating,
      drinking a little water and moving around a little bit. I started
      him on probiotics today (in his food) and he gets a tspoon of
      pumpkin a day in his food. He just had all of his bloodwork, full
      cbc, done less than a month ago and everything was great. His white
      cells were high normal, but all organ values and everything else
      well within normal range. If anyone can help or advise, please
      please do so. We feel like we are dealing with too many things here.
      HCM, possible asthma and now irritable bowel. I do think the stress
      from the vet visit (all the x-rays) and length of visit, along with
      the scary flovent mask definitely attributed to this problem. We
      just are scared and don't know where to go from here. It seems that
      everytime I take him to the vet, things get worse instead of better.
      Griffin is one of those cats where less is more. He does not like to
      be handled. One specific question I have is should I take him off of
      his supplements - fish oil and coq10? Could that be agitating the
      problem more? The only other question I have is whether to give
      metranidazole, which is what our primary vet prescribed, after a
      call today. I am not thrilled about giving another antibiotic, but
      it might be necessary since he has infection with the blood and
      mucus in his stool. Please let me know if anyone has any advice on
      this too. I just don't know if this problem can be solved without
      the antibiotic. Thanks in advance and sorry this is so long - just
      need help - am upset. Amanda and Griffin
    • Shannon
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2007
        Hi Amanda,

        Clavamox is notorious for causing diarrhea. You could try adding some
        probiotics to his food and see if that helps. Otherwise, I would switch to
        a different antibiotic. Even though they all carry some risk of stomach
        upset, clav is the worst.

        Shannon

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2007
          Hi Amanda,

          In a message dated 9/3/07 4:31:57 PM, justinamanda@... writes:

          > However, the
          > very next morning we awoke to Griffin having terrible diarrhea. It
          > literally looked like peanut butter with the very same consistency.

          All antibx have the potential to cause diarrhea...b/c they kill beneficial
          susceptible bacteria along with pathogenic.

          > I called the
          > pharmacist and she said she had never heard of flovent causing
          > anything like that. She did say that it does list it as a rare side
          > effect - diarrhea. We did not give him anymore and he had diarrhea
          > again this am and is clearly not feeling well today.

          It's most likely not the Flovent...but the antibx. And a pharmacist should
          know that.

          > He is eating,
          > drinking a little water and moving around a little bit. I started
          > him on probiotics today (in his food)

          Good. Probiotics are useful anytime you give antibx. And you can keep on
          using them for several days after the antibx are finished to help restore balance
          in the dig. tract.

          > HCM, possible asthma and now irritable bowel.

          Amanda, I don't know if Griffin has bowel inflammation. But diarrhea is a
          *very* common adverse effect of antibx...in humans and cats.

          > We
          > just are scared and don't know where to go from here.

          I know it's scary. If you must continue using an antibx, you can ask the vet
          to prescribe one that Griffin can tolerate better...altho sometimes any antibx
          causes diarrhea. And you can continue using probiotics...there is no downside
          to them, so you can give a dose like 4x/day. You can also give slippery elm
          bark, which will help normalize the water balance. Just give it 30-60 min
          before/after the antibx.

          > One specific question I have is should I take him off of
          > his supplements - fish oil and coq10? Could that be agitating the
          > problem more?

          Possible but unlikely.

          > The only other question I have is whether to give
          > metranidazole, which is what our primary vet prescribed, after a
          > call today.

          Metronidazole is yet another antibx, but it acts on a diff. type of bacteria.
          You can use it if you want...but I think a gentler course is to use
          probiotics, slippery elm bark, small amts of a bland food every few hrs, and plenty of
          liquid orally (mixing water in his food, encouraging him to drink).

          > I am not thrilled about giving another antibiotic, but
          > it might be necessary since he has infection with the blood and
          > mucus in his stool.

          Blood and mucous in the stool can be from irritation and bacterial
          imbalance...caused by the antibx. // Rosemary