Re: [feline-heart] Heart murmurs (for Teresa)

  • Helen
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6, 2000
      Maybe you missed this, Teresa? - this is what Irina's vet told her.

      "The rating scheme is based on the loudness of the heart murmur - if barely
      audible they get a 1, likewise if you can feel the murmur with your hand
      they get a 6.

      The rating scheme rates the murmur, which is turbulent blood flow through a
      leaky heart valve. The grade of murmur does not neccessarily relate to the
      severity of heart disease. Your cat [Irina's] only has a 3/6 heart murmur,
      yet has severe heart disease".

      HTH

      Helen

      > can anyone explain to me, or tell me where to get information, on the
      various types of "heart murmurs" like type IV, III, etc. i
      > have 3 cats with murmurs and altho the vets dont seem overly concerned
      about them, i would like to know exactly what they are.
      > thanks.
      > Teresa Strano

    • Miguel &Linda Irrgang
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7, 2000
        How would you be able to feel it with your hand? What would it feel like?

        Helen wrote:

        > Maybe you missed this, Teresa? - this is what Irina's vet told her.
        >
        > "The rating scheme is based on the loudness of the heart murmur - if barely
        > audible they get a 1, likewise if you can feel the murmur with your hand
        > they get a 6.
        >
        > The rating scheme rates the murmur, which is turbulent blood flow through a
        > leaky heart valve. The grade of murmur does not neccessarily relate to the
        > severity of heart disease. Your cat [Irina's] only has a 3/6 heart murmur,
        > yet has severe heart disease".
        >
        > HTH
        >
        > Helen
        >
        > > can anyone explain to me, or tell me where to get information, on the
        > various types of "heart murmurs" like type IV, III, etc. i
        > > have 3 cats with murmurs and altho the vets dont seem overly concerned
        > about them, i would like to know exactly what they are.
        > > thanks.
        > > Teresa Strano

      • Helen
        Message 3 of 3 , May 7, 2000
          I would imagine this is something vets could feel, not laypeople. Though
          maybe a layperson could learn how to do it.

          Helen