Re: [FH] Newly diagnosed HCM cat - any advice?

  • Sue at MAGDRL
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2007
      Hello and welcome!

      Nala gave you some excellent advice.

      I also found out about my girl the same way that you did. She was given
      enalapril, lasix and atenolol (a beta-blocker). Over time as her heart
      continued to enlarge, she was also given lovenox which is an injectable
      medication used to prevent blood clots. It worked very well as she never
      had one - even when her heart was huge. They also added a second diuretic.
      Lasix works very well on fluid inside the lungs but sometimes they start
      collecting fluid outside of the lungs. For that, spironolactone works best.
      Many vets are not familiar with "spiro" and are reluctant to prescribe it
      but it's perfect for that. Fortunately, it sounds like Cecil doesn't need
      that right now.

      I also gave her a lot of supplements. Since she was impossible to pill and
      wouldn't take them in her food, I had to choose carefully. The most
      important one was CoQ10. She also got salmon oil to help prevent cachexia
      or muscle wasting. She got TMG to help her breathing (she also had asthma).

      Canned food is very important as dry food (and cheaper canned food) simply
      don't meet a cat's nutrional needs.

      It's also important that you find a veterinary cardiologist or an internist
      with experience treating heart disease. If you haven't seen one already,
      see if your regular vet can give you a referral. It makes a HUGE
      difference. My vet was thrilled to work with the cardiologist and says she
      now has a much better understanding of heart disease.

      If you have any other questions, please post them.

      And I love "slug spit"!

      Sue & Angel Pepper