Re: Newly diagnosed HCM cat - any advice?

  • nala_zq
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2007
      HI, I figure I won't call you "slugspit"
      but welcome to you and Cecil.

      Many of us here have or had cats with HCM. Many of us had
      no idea that our individual kitties were sick until some drastic
      emergency came up, like that of Cecil's rapid shallow breathing.
      I am sure that you are happy that you took him to the
      vet right away!

      I am assuming that the HCM was diagnosed based on an
      echocardiogram, and the congestive heart failure based
      on an x-ray.

      The treatment of CHF is most commonly treated with lasix
      (a diuretic) and an ACE-inhibitor (often enalapril or benazepril).

      If Cecil has a rapid heart rate, some vets and vet cardiologists
      will prescribe a beta blocker or a calcium channel inhibitor
      to slow the heart rate in hopes of slowing down the advancement
      of the disease.

      If Cecil's echo indicated an enlarged left atrium, then it might
      be a good time to consider adding an anti-clotting therapy as
      there is a risk of thromboembolism with this disease. My
      cat was given Plavix from the time of her diagnosis to her
      death. When she started on the Plavix, her atrium was
      only borderline enlarged. She did not suffer a clot during
      her 18 months of treatment. Others here have used aspirin,
      although that treatment seems to be falling from favor, low
      molecular weight heparin (lovenox) or an over-the-counter
      supplement Nattokinase.

      Most here would suggest feeding Cecil a high-quality
      wet food diet and certain supplements. I am sure
      Leah will let you know more about those soon. My
      cat took fish oil for omega-3 fatty acids and coenzymeQ10.
      Others give their kitties taurine, carnitine and other supplements.
      It is my opinion that you should check into the supplements
      for yourself and to discuss them with your vet or vet cardiologist/
      internist. I decided against certain supplements for
      my particular cat's case.

      I know how scary this is to learn that your healthy cat has
      heart disease. When my cat was diagnosed, I cried for
      a few days and then off and on for the rest of the week.

      Just keep in mind that Cecil, who you said is back to
      normal with his new meds, doesn't know that he is
      sick, so try not to let it upset you too much.

      Use this time to find out what his regular respiratory
      rate and effort are. Many of us have found that by
      monitoring this fairly closely, and adjusting the
      lasix dose (with vet's approval and direction
      of course) we could avoid expensive
      trips to the emergency vet. It's best to count
      his breaths when he is very calmly resting and
      not purring or even better when he is conked-out
      sleeping. Normal is considered 20-30 resps/min,
      but for many of our cats a normal respiration rate
      at home is in the high teens to mid 20's.

      Again, welcome to the group, I hope you
      are here for many years to come!!

      Nala, Camille and heart-kitty angel Cozette (5.30.07)

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "slugspit" <slugspit@...> wrote:

      > My 7 year-old cat siamese, Cecil, was diagnosed yesterday (Friday) with HCM.
      > Although he appears to be completely healthy, he went to the emergency clinic
      Thursday