Back Leg Weakness After Using Litter Box

  • Gillinov
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2 11:55 AM
      I noticed that when my cat uses the litter box he often winds up with
      his back right leg straight in front of him. If it is not straight
      then it is in other uncomfortable looking positions. The stool
      samples are not hard but he still strains allot. This has resulted in
      my cat limping on the back right leg. Last night we thought is was a
      blood clot so he got a shot of anaquid and a shot of heprin. He was
      fine this morning and I thought the shots worked. Then he went to
      the litter box and strained so much when producing a stool sample that
      he wound up falling down on his bottom. He is now back to limping on
      his back right leg. Does anyone else have these problems? I really
      think that it was not a blood clot but putting so much pressure on the
      back right leg. The back left leg and the front legs are fine. When
      he does get constipated I give him a little laxatone. His stools are
      soft so I don't think he is constipated but what should I do? I feel
      awful seeing him hobble around. He is currently getting 1/4 a baby
      asprin every four days, 1/8 a norvasc every day, 75 of fluids every
      other day, and .25 of tapazol every day,
    • nala_zq
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2 5:00 PM
        Melissa,

        I do not have experience with clots, but 1/4 of
        a baby aspirin is an extremely low dose. In fact,
        since Snowball already had a clot, this seems
        like perhaps it is not the best treatment choice.
        It has been reported that when taking aspirin
        up to 75% of cats that have had a previous
        clot will have another one.

        Most baby aspirin contains 81 mg of aspirin. Most
        cats on aspirin therapy take 81 mg every 3
        days. Perhaps there are other reasons for
        your vet recommending such a very low dose. I
        know I mentioned this to you when you previously
        mentioned your vet prescribed 1/5 of a baby aspirin
        2x/week.

        For more information on common dosing
        strategies see:
        http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00035.htm

        I am unfamiliar with Anaquid.

        Does his weak leg feel cool to the touch? Is it swollen
        or hot anywhere?

        Is the leg that is failing him now the same leg
        that had the suspected clot before? Is it possible
        he has arthritis in a joint? Is his leg weak at any
        times in addition to using the litterbox?

        Some diabetic cats become constipated and display
        rear leg weakness, and as you know CRF kitties are
        commonly constipated. But I don't think this is usually
        just one leg that is weak. Is he diabetic in addition to
        having high blood pressure, CRF and hyper T?

        How is his breathing? Sometimes bowel movements
        put strain on the heart and the kitty will become weak
        and wobbly. With the hyperT and kidney problems, his
        heart can be affected. Did he ever see a cardiologist, or
        did you decide against it given his advanced age?

        I would certainly call my vet and/or take him in.

        Nala