Newly diagnosed HCM cat - any advice?

  • slugspit
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2007
      My 7 year-old cat siamese, Cecil, was diagnosed yesterday (Friday) with HCM.
      Although he appears to be completely healthy, he went to the emergency clinic Thursday
      night with with what turned out to be heart failure. His only symptom was fast, shallow
      breathing. After a day in the vet he's now on enalapril and lasix and acts like his old self.

      Although this is obviously devastating news, it's still hard to believe since it
      seems like he's his completely normal... Since this is all very new and I've only done a couple
      hours of research, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice as to what I can do to keep him
      as healthy as possible for as long as possible.

      Thanks!
    • nala_zq
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2007
        HI, I figure I won't call you "slugspit"
        but welcome to you and Cecil.

        Many of us here have or had cats with HCM. Many of us had
        no idea that our individual kitties were sick until some drastic
        emergency came up, like that of Cecil's rapid shallow breathing.
        I am sure that you are happy that you took him to the
        vet right away!

        I am assuming that the HCM was diagnosed based on an
        echocardiogram, and the congestive heart failure based
        on an x-ray.

        The treatment of CHF is most commonly treated with lasix
        (a diuretic) and an ACE-inhibitor (often enalapril or benazepril).

        If Cecil has a rapid heart rate, some vets and vet cardiologists
        will prescribe a beta blocker or a calcium channel inhibitor
        to slow the heart rate in hopes of slowing down the advancement
        of the disease.

        If Cecil's echo indicated an enlarged left atrium, then it might
        be a good time to consider adding an anti-clotting therapy as
        there is a risk of thromboembolism with this disease. My
        cat was given Plavix from the time of her diagnosis to her
        death. When she started on the Plavix, her atrium was
        only borderline enlarged. She did not suffer a clot during
        her 18 months of treatment. Others here have used aspirin,
        although that treatment seems to be falling from favor, low
        molecular weight heparin (lovenox) or an over-the-counter
        supplement Nattokinase.

        Most here would suggest feeding Cecil a high-quality
        wet food diet and certain supplements. I am sure
        Leah will let you know more about those soon. My
        cat took fish oil for omega-3 fatty acids and coenzymeQ10.
        Others give their kitties taurine, carnitine and other supplements.
        It is my opinion that you should check into the supplements
        for yourself and to discuss them with your vet or vet cardiologist/
        internist. I decided against certain supplements for
        my particular cat's case.

        I know how scary this is to learn that your healthy cat has
        heart disease. When my cat was diagnosed, I cried for
        a few days and then off and on for the rest of the week.

        Just keep in mind that Cecil, who you said is back to
        normal with his new meds, doesn't know that he is
        sick, so try not to let it upset you too much.

        Use this time to find out what his regular respiratory
        rate and effort are. Many of us have found that by
        monitoring this fairly closely, and adjusting the
        lasix dose (with vet's approval and direction
        of course) we could avoid expensive
        trips to the emergency vet. It's best to count
        his breaths when he is very calmly resting and
        not purring or even better when he is conked-out
        sleeping. Normal is considered 20-30 resps/min,
        but for many of our cats a normal respiration rate
        at home is in the high teens to mid 20's.

        Again, welcome to the group, I hope you
        are here for many years to come!!

        Nala, Camille and heart-kitty angel Cozette (5.30.07)