Thank you! - Deuce /90 - 8/31/07

  • Steve Schumacher
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2007
      The outpouring of support I am getting from list members on Deuce's passing is truly amazing and I sincerely appreciate each and every person who has taken the time to e-mail.
      When things settle down I will make a good long post about Deuce and his extended family
      but in the meantime I will stay on list and respond where I feel I can help.

      Two things I will mention right away -

      1- If you aren't comfortable with your current vet for whatever reason ( they don't seem to have the most to date information, aren't willing to listen , etc. ) look elsewhere. Most them are purely overworked and underinformed. If I had listened to my original vet Deuce would have been gone from us well over a year ago. But it must have been fate and his family looking after him from the Bridge as my original vet was on vacation when Deuce originally became ill in May of 2006 and I made an appointment with a truly amazing young lady vet at the same practice who was up to date on all the latest treatments and had indeed been treating her own cat for CRF - I owe his life to her as well as to many fantastic people at the Center For Specialized Veterinary Care in Westbury ,NY. I guess my point is look around and ask friends, co-workers,listmembers or anyone who will listen if are not happy with your current treatment and vet - and if they know a vet that might be more
      compatible. If your vet is telling you something that doesn't sound right then it probably isn't. Get another opinion .....

      2 - PLEASE assist feed your cat if needed. I see posts all the time that people don't want to inflict that on their cats and to be honest it is a little sad to see. I basically learned how to do it from what list members had posted and from the various web sites - no one showed me. But with a little patience and practice it became a regular routine - and while Deuce wasn't happy with it sometimes when he wasn't feeling well - it gave us at least another six- eight months of good quality time together. If anyone needs instructions or guidance with that I will of course be glad to share my experiences and the information from the FAF group is invaluable.

      Again - THANK YOU to everyone for your support it means more than you can imagine!